The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 17, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1
ltc444

Animal rights drone shot down

Drudge is reporting that an unmanned drone launched by an animal rights group near the Broxton Bridge Plantation was shot down.

Apparantly, the group was trying to stop a live pigeon shoot. The Times and Democrat reports that the shoot was cancelled but the group launched the drone anyway. Shortly after launch several shots rang out and the drone crashed on a local highway.

If true, good shooting guys.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Newton24b

did the animal rights group get a ticket for littering on the highway/
Old February 17, 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
According to the report, Hindi told the responding deputy the group's remote-controlled aircraft "was hovering over U.S. 601 when he heard a shot come from the wood line. The shot sounded to him that it was of small caliber."
Quote:
Hindi estimated damage to the drone at around $200 to $300.
Note to self: (Scribbles) Use...... Larger..... Caliber.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:59 AM   #4
BIGR

Could be a new method that anti's will use in an attempt to disrupt hunting. More to come in the future....

Imagine you are in a tree stand one day and a drone from that group appears. I know what you will do.......
Old February 18, 2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Edward429451

That's hysterically funny
Old February 18, 2012, 03:23 AM   #6
HunterT

Quote:
Note to self: (Scribbles) Use...... Larger..... Caliber.
Old February 18, 2012, 03:57 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Could be a new method that anti's will use in an attempt to disrupt hunting. More to come in the future....
I can only hope.

Around here, it is a crime to interfere with legal hunting and shooting activities. If they send a drone my way to interfere with my activities; it's going DOWN!
Old February 18, 2012, 03:58 AM   #8
HiBC

In Colorado harrassing hunters is a felony.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:18 AM   #9
rickyrick

That thing would be on my wall.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:24 AM   #10
PawPaw

Doesn't the FAA have minimum altitude requirements for un-manned aircraft? Either way, it's just plain stupid to put up a camera drone near a shotgun range. What did they think might happen?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 18, 2012, 08:24 AM   #11
hoytinak

I wonder what my taxidermist would charge to mount a drone?
Old February 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Creek Henry

In this case, is this $300 'drone' some kind of cheap RC airplane? If so, it is not bulletproof :)
Old February 18, 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
macmuffy

"I wonder what my taxidermist would charge to mount a drone? "

Is that not a bit kinkey?
Old February 18, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
buck460XVR

As much as I despise some of the antis antics...... two wrongs do not make a right. Here in Wisconsin it is also illegal to harass hunters......but, it is also illegal to intentionally shoot across a highway. It is also illegal to damage private property that is not on your property without the owners permission. On top of that, since the witness said it sounded like small arms fire, it was unsafe to shoot into the air with solid projectiles without any idea of where they may land. In reality, lowering themselves below the level of the antis, by those hunters breaking the law, being unsafe and irresponsible, in the public's eye, it could end up being a victory for the antis. We as shooters/hunters need to exhibit positive images. While it makes me snicker a little knowing the drone was shot down, I'm also worried about the overall impression given to others that do not shoot/hunt.........because they are still in the majority.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #15
olddav

I can see a whole new sport coming out of this. Sell tickets for a chance to shoot down a drone, (Rc plane). Include door prizes and balloons for the kids, maybe even a raffle.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:30 AM   #16
warbirdlover

If they shot it down with shotguns it's no different then duck hunting. Small arms fire could mean anything, especially coming from a animal rights group.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Vt.birdhunter

There a daily bag limit on drones?
Old February 18, 2012, 10:53 AM   #18
mquail

Quote:
Doesn't the FAA have minimum altitude requirements for un-manned aircraft? Either way, it's just plain stupid to put up a camera drone near a shotgun range. What did they think might happen?
I don't think they are supposed to be over 400 feet. I suppose if a guy had a rangefinder and was directly under the targeted aircraft you might know for certain provided no one is shooting at it with anything. If the drone is over 400feet then you get the FAA involved.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Rembrandt

In Iowa animal rights groups were sneaking cameras into livestock buildings and posting the video online to harm the industry.....legislature passed a law prohibiting the practice unless they have permission of the property owner.

I'd think unauthorized camera surveillance on private property without a court order is no different than illegal wiretapping.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Discern

American citizens lost a lot of rights with the recent national security legislation that was recently passed and signed into law by BO. From what I have read, the government does not need to have a warrant to use a drone for looking at you and your property from a drone. They can also hold an American citizen indefinitely without any trial.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:31 AM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
If they shot it down with shotguns it's no different then duck hunting.
Yep, it's no different than duck hunting in one respect. Tell a warden here that you've been shooting ducks across the road and see what happens. The difference is, it was private property that was illegally damaged while legally operating in public airspace, and done so in a dangerous way. Hard to believe anyone can endorse that.

Quote:
I'd think unauthorized camera surveillance on private property without a court order is no different than illegal wiretapping.
Again, many here are quick to respond about how MAYBE there was something done illegally by the antis to justify the shooting. Truth is the facts only support that the only illegal methods employed were by the shooters. The old double standard that is so widely used here on public forums....it's "okay for me to do it, but they better not!", as in.....
"It's okay for me to illegally shoot wolves and cougars, but my neighbor better not shoot at a deer after shooting hours, or step one foot on my property, or I'm gonna turn him in!".

Lotta pots here callin' the kettle black.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #22
shortwave

Did anyone shoot across the highway???

Just cause it crashed there, doesn't mean someone shot across the highway to hit it.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:43 AM   #23
PawPaw

Quote:
According to the report, Hindi told the responding deputy the group's remote-controlled aircraft "was hovering over U.S. 601 when he heard a shot come from the wood line. The shot sounded to him that it was of small caliber."
That's your complainant talking. I've been a cop for a lot of years and I know better than to take a complainant's statement at face value, especially if it is self-serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
It is also illegal to damage private property that is not on your property without the owners permission. On top of that, since the witness said it sounded like small arms fire, it was unsafe to shoot into the air with solid projectiles
Except for the complainant's statement, we don't know where the toy was flying when it was shot. For that matter, we don't even know that it was shot. A more compelling argument is that the anti-gunner was flying his toy, was startled at the sound of gunfire and crashed the helicopter. It may have been over the highway, it might not have been over the highway. And, a 12 gauge shotgun is definitely a small-arm. It's perfectly acceptable to shoot a shotgun into the sky. That's what it is designed for.

Were I the plantation owner, I wouldn't admit anything. Make 'em prove it all. My position would be that I and a number of friends were enjoying a little perfectly legal target shooting. "Helicopter? What helicopter?"

You'll notice that the article didn't take a statement from the plantation owner. Simply, he and his guests were enjoying a pleasant afternoon and have no knowledge of a camera-drone-toy-thing.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 18, 2012, 11:53 AM   #24
shortwave

Was there a camera on the drone?

Also, I hardly doubt that an animal rights group would have the same leeway to video-tape private property as the gov't would...if thats what was going on, I'd think there may be some privacy laws broken by the animal rights group.

Maybe a few TFL attorney's could give their input on this.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #25
treg

Quote:
I can see a whole new sport coming out of this. Sell tickets for a chance to shoot down a drone, (Rc plane). Include door prizes and balloons for the kids, maybe even a raffle.
or a shawtgun.