The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Fatboy5108

H&K MK23???

Looks like a top notch side arm, thought and experiences please be honest. Im new to shooting and want as many opinions as i can get
Old September 12, 2013, 07:18 AM   #2
DasGuy

It's huge and expensive. If you want an HK, you'd be better off with a USP or HK45.
Old September 12, 2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Skans

That's a big .45. One interesting thing I noticed is that the slide and barrel seem to lock-up very similar to the Sig X-Five. I wonder if there is any cross-manufacturing going on here???
Old September 12, 2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Fatboy5108

Yeah sure looks like a huge rig but the size doesnt bother me certaianly wouldnt hurt if it were related to the sig in some way as the sig is a great pistol in its own right.
Old September 12, 2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
It's huge and expensive. If you want an HK, you'd be better off with a USP or HK45
I'm not going to say you'd be better off with something else, because I don't know the OP wants to use it for. But I do agree that it's huge and expensive (and shoots relatively expensive ammo for a new shooter just getting into the sport).

I see the Mk.23 first and foremost as a future collector's item, or toy to draw some attention at the range. It would no doubt also make an excellent home defense pistols (although I can name any number of much less expensive pistols that would do the job equally well). Definitely not suitable for concealed carry.

I would normally dissuade a new shooter from a .45ACP as a first pistol (recommending instead a .22LR or 9mm), but yeah, that Mk.23 is a big boy that will soak up some recoil and is not difficult to shoot well. It's a very accurate pistol (it has to be, as if was designed as an OFFENSIVE handgun.)

Personally, I would be looking at an HK45 (or more likely, an HK45C). Remember that the HK45 was developed from the USP, which was developed from the Mk.23.
Old September 12, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
TxFlyFish

As a new shooter I would not recommend the mark 23, it's quite large and unwieldy and doesn't recoil as nicely given its size but it does crack pistachios with its slide very well
Old September 12, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Sodbuster

Are we going to see "The Nutcracker Suite" performed with an HK Mark 23? You could buy it and then report back to us with your impressions, or you may get more responses at http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old September 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
7east

My friend has a MK23 that we shoot suppressed at the range. It's extremely accurate. Its long sight radius makes it easy to make one ragged hole in the target. The trigger is very nice for a DA/SA. If you use a suppressor than the recoil is probably less than or at least equal to a 9mm. Just the size and weight make it very recoil manageable. It's a perfect home defense or range gun, but like was stated, wouldn't make a good candidate for concealed carry. I haven't handled an HK45 (though I really want one), but it's obvious its ergonomics are much better. If price isn't an issue then go for it. If you want to save a bit of money then get the HK45.

Fishbed, as far as the offensive pistol designation, if you've read Frogman's explanation of that whole thing, it was just designated as such so the SF units could have more than one .45 acp pistol which wasn't allowed due to budgetary reasons. To get around the issue, it was designed as an 'offensive' pistol thereby fitting into a separate category. It's all about money apparently.

Here's a link to a thread on the Hk forum with a bit of info:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...handgun-3.html
Old September 12, 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
TxFlyFish

The Mark 23 is very well suited to crack nuts...the oversize springs that make the USP look like a toy and the maritime coating ensures that you could crack even the toughest salted nuts
Old September 12, 2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Beretta686

Things are different down under in getting pistols.

As others have said, it's probably not a good choice for a first pistol.

But the OP is down under, where there's quite a few hoops to jump through to get a handgun and there's only certain sized pistols you can get, with restrictions on anything above a .38/9mm.

If you're set on a .45ACP the MK23 would be an excellent choice for a target gun, that also comes with the cool factor. It's not necessarily a very "practical" gun, but it does turn heads at the range and is undeniably bad ass.

Personally I'd guide you towards a 9mm such as a Glock or a Sig, but if you want a MK23 and can legally get one, go out and get it. At the range, you'll always be "that guy with the MK23".

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 12, 2013, 09:40 AM   #11
PSP

The MK23 was designed and built for special purposes. That said; the gun is fairly unique in the polymer world, but those unique qualities translate to unusually high quality, unusually robust and outstanding accuracy. If your budget allows, the MK23 is without doubt a great gun.

Some folks comment on the size, but any pistol with a 6" barrel and uses a high capacity .45acp magazine is going to be large. I wonder why the same is never said of other similar sized pistols. The MK23 weighs the same as a standard 1911. The grip circumference is a bit more than a USP. Small hands may have a problem, but medium sized hands and larger will find the grip comfortable.

There's no commonality with Sig. Only the decock lever gives that impression, but the silent decocker is simply one of those specialized features designed in. The gun was made for high power .45acp, which means it's useful life is very long when shooting standard ammo. If you want a robust, accurate, reliable, suppressor ready .45 pistol, then the MK23 is a fine choice. HK also makes several other fine .45 pistols, all well made and reliable, but the MK23 is the one that spawned the USP line and hence all modern polymer HKs.

If you want the match grade accuracy without the $2000 pricetag, look for a USP Elite. If any HK outshoots the MK23 it would be that one.
Old September 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Strafer Gott

I want to mention the USP 45 Tactical. It has much of the coolness without the massive price. They have great triggers for da/sa as well.
Old September 12, 2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Tucker 1371

I would find one to hold before buying. When I was 21 looking at my first handgun I thought from everything I heard and read about it that it must be the ultimate combat handgun. Once I held one at a gun show I had a change of heart. It is HUGE. So huge in fact it is rumored that the SOCOM guys who are issued it called it a "crew served handgun" (crew served is a term usually reserved for belt fed weapons). As previously mentioned some people like the trigger but I'm not a fan, you can get a better trigger in a budget 1911 (I know, can't compare DA/SA triggers to SAO triggers).

If its your first pistol and you are DEAD set on a .45 I'd say get a budget 1911, one that comes with an extended beavertail. You won't find many .45s that are easier to shoot IMHO.

A Rock Island Tactical model would be a great pistol to start researching. Then again if you're already prepared to spend $2300 then you could buy a Colt or other middle-high end 1911.

All that said before you buy anything get your hands on a few different guns. I admit I have a strong bias towards 1911s. You, however, may like the HK USP tactical, the M&P45, or a Glock 21. If you can filter out all the BS you hear from vendors and patrons then a gunshow would be an excellent place to go handle a few different types and see which one jumps out at you.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old September 12, 2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Mystro

I have owned 3 HK's. The MK23 is big and bulky. I shot a few and wasn't impressed. Its kinda like a 10 year old computer......Cutting edge at the time but has been surpassed by smaller and more efficient models.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Hammerhead

I've shot the SOCOM, owned the USP Tac, USP 45 and the HK45.
The SOCOM is a neat gun, huge, but light for it's size. Practically accurate (easy to shoot well) and I like the separate safety lever.
However it does nothing the USP and HK45 can't do. The USP is one heck of a gun and for me it's as accurate as the Tactical out to 50 yards. I've shot some of my very best 50 yard groups with the USP. The USP is the least expensive one of the bunch.
Old September 13, 2013, 06:44 PM   #16
TxFlyFish

If you want to send the Hk fanboys drooling look for USP Match.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17
skinnypuppy

I love mine. I shoot it and carry it, awesome gun. Go for it
Old September 14, 2013, 12:42 AM   #18
Fatboy5108

Wow thanks for all the info guys, .45 ACP is legal here as long as your a member of a club which is the only place you can legally shoot pistols anyway. concealed carry is not an issue in OZ as its ILLEGAL to carry any type of weapon on your person in public in Australia. we are legally only allowed to have a MAXIMUM 10 shot clips and must have a MINIMUM barrel length of 120mm or just shy of 5 inches. accuracy and build quality are my main concerns as i want something that is going to last a long time and be competitive without to much extra work
Old September 14, 2013, 06:57 AM   #19
thedudeabides

Big, heavy, accurate overpriced gun.

Won't break on you, will shoot some stupidly overpressured 45 ACP ammo.

Not worth the price premium over the HK45, which in itself is also a nice gun.
Old September 14, 2013, 11:59 AM   #20
Hammerhead

The USP Tactical or the HK45 Tactical would meet your needs. The USP Tactical is a very, very accurate gun out of the box, and it's about half the price of the Mk23.
Old September 15, 2013, 04:03 PM   #21
reticle

The slide is only 1/2 inch longer than that of a 1911. 1/2 inch. Not huge in my book. It weighs less than a full size 1911. Folks carry 1911s all the time and don't complain about it's size. I have single action revolvers that dwarf (...as long as we're speaking in hyperbole...) the Mark 23. It is a large frame handgun because the SOCOM specs called for a long sight radius. In fact, it is what it is because bureaucrats and military brass specified features and performance. It is probably one, if not the most, researched and tested pistols in the world. Don't let anyone online talk you out of one. Many of those complaining about it's proportions haven't held one let alone fired one. 2000.00 for a handgun is not unusual. Folks buy them all the time.

below is a pic of mine with a 1911 superimposed. Notice the frames are within 1/2 of each other.

Same gun compared to the USP Tactical. Larger, but huge? hardly.

Again, try it for yourself. Don't be discouraged by guys with ...

Old September 16, 2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Beretta686

Thanks for the awesome pics reticle! Those really put it in perspective.

I came about 10 seconds away from buying a MK23 but was put off by the size of it and got a USPCT instead. If I'd of held it next to a full-size 1911 and seen for myself how it's not that much bigger than a 1911, I probably would of gotten it. Could of, would of, should of.....

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 16, 2013, 01:03 PM   #23
allaroundhunter

H&K MK23???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy5108 View Post
Yeah sure looks like a huge rig but the size doesnt bother me certaianly wouldnt hurt if it were related to the sig in some way as the sig is a great pistol in its own right.
It is made by H&K, so how in the world would it be related to Sig?.... Except that they both originated in Europe....
Old September 16, 2013, 04:03 PM   #24
reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta686
I came about 10 seconds away from buying a MK23 but was put off by the size of it and got a USPCT instead. If I'd of held it next to a full-size 1911 and seen for myself how it's not that much bigger than a 1911, I probably would of gotten it. Could of, would of, should of.....
Don't worry. You'll get one eventually
Old September 16, 2013, 04:52 PM   #25
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

It's been said that the only operational experience the MK23 has is in the movie "Tears of the Sun".
It's a nice pistol. As said earlier, designed and built for specops. But not used by specops.
The US Navy, that bought many of the MK23's turned around and later bought the HK45C to replace the MK23's.