The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 18, 2000, 11:48 AM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I'd like to re-finish an old Winchester 12. Where do I take it, how much should I expect to pay, anything else I need to know about prepping it?

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://www.a-human-right.com
http://www.olegvolk.net
Old October 18, 2000, 12:19 PM   #2
sh00ter

I am a gunsmith in SC>
I do parkerizing.
long guns I charge 85.00 plus s/h
just take the wood off and ship it to me .
let me know if you interested
[email protected]
Old October 18, 2000, 02:56 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Oleg,

If you're near a NRA school, wait to take the class. You'll get to sand blast it yourself and parkerize it. It's quite easy to do.

Gary
Old October 18, 2000, 11:05 PM   #4
Badger Arms

$85 is reasonable if you don't want to go through the trouble. I send my guns off anymore. I tried to do it myself a few times. It works great and is fun, but I've just not got the time anymore. It's better for ME to send it out. There is a shop near Portland Oregon that is pretty good and reasonable. http://www.revelationarms.com/

Good luck.
Old October 21, 2000, 01:50 AM   #5
pocat

Do-it-yourself?

I would LOVE to!
What does the process involve?

Where can I find more info on this?

Old October 22, 2000, 12:08 AM   #6
Badger Arms

Brownells has kits. You can get set up pretty well for a reasonable price. Problem is, you'd need to do a quantity of guns to make up for the expense. To get a really quality job, you'll need a blaster also. More expense to make up for. You might need some practice too. Get some variety of steel parts to try out and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Brownells has instructions for how to get it done that I think they give you free. The experience I've had is that you can really fudge the ratios, times, etc. and still get a quality job. Different steels will produce different results.

Just like any finish, metal preparation is paramount. Make sure that the part is completely degerased and you don't handle parts AT ALL with your bare hands prior to placing them in the parkerizing solution.

After parkerizing, soak the parts in some sort of protectant. The primary advantage of parkerizning is that it is very porous and those pores need to be filled with something that will protect the metal. I prefer LSA Medium or EEZOX moreso because I'm familiar with them than that they have any certain advantage over anything else.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited October 22, 2000).]