The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
viper1216

Browning Buckmark....Misfire's

I own a Browning Buckmark .22LR Camper. I have owned this gun for quite a few years now and have consistantly had a problem with misfires. I can fire off a few rounds from a mag and the CLICK....when I eject the round you can clearly see that it has an indentation from the firing pin. This use to happen every once in a while but now it keeps happening consistantly....I have tried changing ammo but didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas or heard anything about this issue. This is a great firearm and I'd like to have it working properly again.

Thanks
Viper
Old January 25, 2006, 11:45 PM   #2
HSMITH

Wet it down with oil. FP10 is a good choice, shoot it WET.

The Buckmark is one gun that likes oil.
Old January 26, 2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Mark54g

Similar situation with my Beretta Neos. Like HSSMITH said, keep it oiled. I was told that I was leaving too much lube on my Neos and that it would just collect burnt powder and residue. I wiped everything down and used tiny drops of oil and I had about 10 times as many failures after that. I used to have my Neos so lubed up that oil seemed to squeeze out (very small amounts) and it rarely if ever hiccuped then.
Also, I believe rimfire primers are not around 100 of the rim. I was told once that they are like 2 half moons and that there are dead spots. Try rotating the cartridge a little and putting it back in. It should go off. It could be ammo from a bad lot.
Old January 26, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
viper1216

Thanks....I'll give that a shot.....I don't think it's a bad batch of ammo though...I've tried 6 different types with the same results. And after I eject the round I do put it back in and fire it without an issue which left me to believe it was the gun
Old January 26, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5
guntotin_fool

clean the chamber and the barrel face and the bolt face, if you get crud there then the impact of the firing pin is cushioned and you do not get a good hit. make sure the chamber is clean, sometimes crud get built up in there and the case will not slide all the way in untill the rim is against the barrel face and then very few guns have the strength in the firing pin spring to get a good hit then. Also check the extractor relief cut on the barrel, if there is gunk in there, that can hold the case off the barrel face a little bit. not enough to stop it from going into battery and firing, but enough to cause misfires.

very common on rimfire weapons.
Old January 26, 2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Te Anau

If you ask me,Buckmarks are a misfire. Never did like that gun.
Old January 26, 2006, 01:07 PM   #7
hksigwalther

Is the top strap/sight base on tight? (When i first shot my Standard, the top came a little loose and gave me many misfires as the firing pin strikes started moving away from the rim.)
Old January 26, 2006, 02:28 PM   #8
MrAcheson

Clean breachface and the firing pin channel too. I bought my camper used and had similar troubles. Then I took the top rail off and it was filthy. The firing pin channel was full of gunk. I cleaned it out and I still get the random misfire, but we're talking 1 in 100+ odds. That is just rimfires being rimfires.