The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 24, 2002, 10:32 PM   #1
Fuzzy

Javelina question

I'm going Javelina hunting next month and I'm wondering what kind of ammo I should use. I have a 30-06 and I was wondering if someone could recomend a factory load that would be good for them.

Thanks,
Old January 24, 2002, 11:12 PM   #2
Mad Max

You may want to try Remington Ballistic Tip, which uses the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. My 7mm loves that stuff and shoots it great, and the polymer tip will open up really fast on those little suckers. Good hunting.

"I don't mind it when stupid people say stupid things. Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things, that way we always know who the stupid people are." ~ Ted Nugent - Fox News, 2002.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
[Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930]
Old January 25, 2002, 03:22 AM   #3
Salt

.30-06? 7mm?

Too much gun for those little Javleena's.

Might I suggest something smaller, like say a .32-20 or 25-20 lever action rifle? If ya gotta go with a bolt gun, then perhaps .243 or 6mm
Old January 25, 2002, 09:08 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Anybody's 150-grain bullet, of whatever sort. A fully-grown pigalina, on the hoof--or all four of 'em--weighs around 35 pounds, mas o menos.

Shoot 'em in the eye. NOT in the body. And they ain't got no neck...

After you shoot one, cut the skin in a circle around the scent gland on the back. After that, if you're halfway careful, you can field-dress the little critter without even getting your hands bloody.

They're easier to skin when the carcass is still warm.

Barbecue the hams over about a 300-degree bed of coals for some truly yummy-tasty! (Make up a basting mix of any old barbecue sauce and add "stuff" to it to suit you--but use no salt. And turn the ham with tongs, not a fork. You don't want to lose moisture from the meat.)

, Art
Old January 25, 2002, 11:01 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Art been there.
Care in killin and dressin.
Good meat.

Nearly any gun will do.
Shooter skill counts more.

Sam
Old January 26, 2002, 12:11 AM   #6
Fuzzy

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to find one...
Old January 26, 2002, 08:21 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

MIddle of the day, they're ususally laid up, sleeping or just sorta hangin' out. Around sundown they'll string out and head for any sort of water point.

Art
Old January 26, 2002, 08:26 AM   #8
1goodshot

I've always used a 357, so just about anything in 30-06 will be more than enough.You don't need to spend alot on fancy bullets
Old January 26, 2002, 11:19 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

Plant tulip bulbs. Piglets like em for breakfast. Saves a lot of walkin.

Don't leave kitchen window open if snow deep outside, might have piglet in house.

Sam
Old January 28, 2002, 03:27 AM   #10
Salt

.30-06 for Javleena?!?

Ya might as well be using a .375 H&H for cottontails.

Really now, a rifle chambered in .25-20, 32-20, or 22 Hornet would be just about right for the dainty little Javleena.

Save the '06 for those big wild hogs.
Old January 28, 2002, 09:43 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Salt, if you'll notice, what the guy owns is an '06. What the heck. Shoot one in the eye and it don't make no nevermind, nohow.

Art
Old January 28, 2002, 11:39 AM   #12
C.R.Sam

Run whatcha brung.
Bracket racin or pot huntin.

Whatever gun is handy is the right gun for javalena.

Sam
Old January 28, 2002, 02:25 PM   #13
Long Path

Shoot, their heads are mighty big for their bodies, and a head shot with any rifle will put 'em down. But may I humbly suggest that javelinas are possibly the best initial step into handgun hunting? I've taken 3 with pistols now; 2 with a 6" .38 spl., and one with my Kimber .45 acp.

But Art's right-- with the tough little swine, you're best served with a head shot. Art, I still haven't posted that story, have I?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg matt with javelina shot on art's place 2.jpg (40.2 KB, 104 views)
Old January 28, 2002, 02:55 PM   #14
Salt

Looks like a total dude when using such a powerful rifle for such a small animal.
Old January 28, 2002, 06:06 PM   #15
JasonReed

FWIW Fuzzy, I don't think you'll look like a dude. I think you'll look like a guy who owns a 30-06.

I'm hunting coyotes for the first time next month and I'm using my '06. Why? Cuz it's what I've got. I use it for elk, antelope, whitetail, coyote, anything that my 10/22 doesn't handle. Long as I'm not UNDER gunned, I don't see the point in having a different gun for each critter.
Old January 28, 2002, 10:54 PM   #16
Fuzzy

I'm with you, JasonReed. I have a .22 and an '06 and I'm not in a position right now to buy a new gun just for one hunt. So, I'll take my '06. Yes, it has a lot more power than my huntin' buddy's SKS, but it's also a lot more accurate. Neither of us have taken a Javelina before, so the real challenge will be finding them.

With an '06, a .22, and a shotgun, I don't see that there is anything that I can't hunt. At least in the lower 48.

-Fuzzy
Old February 2, 2002, 08:37 PM   #17
H&H,hunter

Use anything you want on Javalina. If your going to use your 06 I'd recomend a stout bullet they tend to do less meat damage than a fast expander.
Do you guys really like Javalina meat? I've met maggots that'd turn it down for a nice steamy pile of fresh dog turds.

I've got a recipe for of my own for Javalina. Take one grown Javalina staple him to an oak plank fill cavity with horse manure bury him under 4' of rocks and start fire ontop let cook for 3 days. After 3 days dig up the Javalina poor horse manure on plank throw Javalina away and eat manure.
Old February 3, 2002, 01:32 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since I've always had my javelina cook up just really tastily, I dunno what to tell you!

Maybe local diets affect them. I've read about people griping that antelope is lousy eating, but mine was yummy tasty. Dangfino.

I cut the scent gland out first. If I'm halfway careful in gutting, I hardly even get any blood on my hands. I skin the critter pretty much ASAP. I generally barbecue the hams. There's not all that much meat on the shoulders, and the backstraps and ribs are small--but in my experience it's all good eats.

Art
Old February 3, 2002, 02:30 PM   #19
H&H,hunter

I've never bother with the scent gland I just remove it when I skin the critter(skin and all). Maybe that's my problem?

I sure do like hunting those little Pecaries though. Have you ever called Them in using a mouth grunt? If the wind is right you can get right in the middle of a group of them. They'll actually talk back and forth to you, that's really fun. I like to hunt them with a pistol or a muzzle loader.
Old February 3, 2002, 04:01 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've had them come in to a wounded-rabbit call when I was coyote-calling.

They're a lot of fun to meddle around with. Ever grab up a little baby, one that's still sorta pink? The herd runs, but Momma pops her jaws and the piglet squeals and the rest of them run around in the brush all worried. They don't wanna leave; they don't wanna stay...

They make pretty good pets, but they're territorial little doofers. "Serious Watch Pig". We had a census lady get bitten by a guy's pet pigalina. Lots of locals' jokes about that one.

, Art
Old February 4, 2002, 01:56 AM   #21
H&H,hunter

I have caught a baby feral hog but I've never caught a baby pigalina. Now you've done it. I just got myself a new goal for the year.