The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2005, 01:52 PM   #51
FirstFreedom

Oh yeah, the poodle is very smart and a good hunter, in its original genetic form. It was one of the very FIRST breeds to be popularized and thus ruined (for the most part) by backyard breeders - but it happened a lot longer ago than some other breeds, so not as many recall that poodles ARE workers! (from the right breeding lines).

Yes, I want a lot, but I'm willing to pay a lot of dimes for it. I've had good dogs and so-so dogs, and in truth, my "best" dog right now in terms of personality and predatory instinct is a mutt that I took in off the street (literally). I really despise backyard breeders who breed without regard to health, temperament, and working ability. I think it's ridiculous for breeders to not have OFA certs on hips and eyes in any breed where they're known to be a strong possibility. And I think it's doubly ridiculous to not breed PRINCIPALLY for the working ability for which the breed was originally bred (with the narrow exception of toy dogs, who by definition, have no working ability), and secondly, for health qualities and temperant, and lastly, almost as an afterthought, some semblance to the physical breed standard. And I think it's OUR duty as consumers to hold these breeders to a high standard, and pay a little more - this would weed out most or all of the backyard breeders. If you want something cheap, for a good pet, get a pound dog. If you want a dog that will work, be willing to pay for it, and ostracize breeders who breed solely for confomation qualities. Any breeder can give lip service about how great the health of their dogs are, but if they're not willing to shell out a few buck for the TEST that proves this, and add a small amount to the cost of the dog, then there's a REASON they're not willing to test them - they're probably perpetuating bad genes, for the sake of profit only.
Old March 18, 2005, 02:28 PM   #52
USP45usp

First,

That is why I stayed away from any "papered" dogs. Now, I must admit with my post on "Yippy Dogs", the Schipperke has really perked my interest. The lady, in her ad that I found (she's in Oregon) mentioned paying for the test of genetics and such on the parents and I guess will do so on the puppies.

I have looked at some other breeds (the mini dobie was mentioned) and the "curs" seem to be the best ones (that is what a boyhood friend's father said the dog was. It was "cheap" because one of the ears was deformed (me and my friend thought the dog looked cool) and from what I remember, it was the only one that survived from the litter as it grew because all the others had been breed too thin or something and had bad defects (but looked good for show :barf: ).

Oregon is pretty good about shutting down "backyard breeders" and all breeding dogs have to go to the vet to be checked for such defects (genes) and from what I understand, the breeders have to keep a log that must match up to their vets and can only breed so many times and brothers/sisters moms/sons, dads/daughters can't breed.

Good luck in your search.

Wayne
Old March 18, 2005, 03:07 PM   #53
Lokmdwn

I've got a choc lab, 9 years old, 115 Lbs and a great family and hunting dog. As far as home defense goes, he looks very intense and anytime someone new enters out house he will stand rock still until the front door closes. I think he's just waiting to make sure that they can't get away before he licks off 2 layers of skin and makes them pet him. He would probably help you unload the china hutch if you could agree on a daily belly rub. LOL.
All kidding aside, they are great dogs and the transition from the field to the house is transparent.
Mine doesn't know he's a dog and he has absolutely no idea he weighs as much as he does. They just want to make you happy.

My wife has issued the following law in our house.

1. If anything happens to the dog while we are hunting, I can't come home.
Old March 21, 2005, 06:35 PM   #54
FirstFreedom

Thank you Wayne. I'll admit that I do have an interest in one yipper - the Papillon breed has me interested in strictly a small pet dog, for it's personality, ease of care, and interesting looks - can a heterosexual own a toy breed however - is that allowed?
Old March 27, 2005, 07:52 AM   #55
N.H. Yankee

I have a pure bred ottertail Black Lab I got from a breeder in Iowa, I live in N.H. and when my Grandson asked how she got here, I replyed by Greyhound of course. She is one of the stocky muscular types weighs 100lbs and is pure muscle. This dog is like the energizer rabbit in the field and has been the best of both worlds as far as hunter and pet. Labs can tend to be goofy some times but very loyal, smart and lovable, this dogs nose is like a laser. I never had a lab before and am now will ever have any dog for the field but a lab. I am sure there are other dogs just as good but, but this lab is a real piece of work.
Old March 31, 2005, 08:07 AM   #56
VirgilCaine

Talk about versatile? Here's my "birdog". She tracked it, tree'd it, then retrieved it. That dog was so proud she carried it all the way back to the house to show my wife. That's one happy German Shorthair!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0688.JPG (159.2 KB, 61 views)
Old April 2, 2005, 06:55 AM   #57
TJC

I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but my choice would be and is, Drahthaar.
Great with people, easily trained, hard worker etc etc.

I had 2 until losing one to old age in Jan. Getting another pup this June. She will be ready and hunting at 6 months in Nov. That was the schedule on my last one. Born in May and was pointing and retreiving in Nov.

You'll love them. Check out www.altmoor.com. Scroll down to vom Altmoor Deutsch-Drahthaars in the left hand colum. You'll find history on breed etc.
Old April 2, 2005, 12:58 PM   #58
MassHunter2190

How about a English Springer Spaniel? Not very short-haired, but we keep ours clipped, so its really not a problem. I dont no how easily you can train them to point either, but mine will work pheasants all day long, and retrieve them. Also, theyre great for home protection, but very friendly once they get to know somebody, including children. Just an idea

-Jake
Old April 2, 2005, 09:01 PM   #59
MeekAndMild

I'd say a Boxer is totally out. They will point but they can't get retrieving right. They won't let go and they will crush anything they pick up if you try to take it from them.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old April 4, 2005, 10:53 AM   #60
FirstFreedom

Masshunter....you bring up the point that with breeds like the Springer Spaniel, who, although having longer hair, the hair is THIN enough to clip easily yourself, without a lot of hassle, in sharp contract to breeds with heavy undercoats like my spitz breeds (akita, husky, etc.), who must be bathed & brushed out before a clipper will plow through. Maybe I should widen my choices. Still, less maintenance is better than more maintenance. Man that's one good girl Virgil, bringin ya back a squirrel like that. Good discussion. I know nothing of the Drathaar...will have to investigate them...
Old April 4, 2005, 11:26 AM   #61
Russ5924

For me it's got to be the Brittany great pointer good all around hunting dog but most that I have had just don't like water.They will go in up to there belly and that is it. Had one Lab dumbest dog I have ever owned.Had him trained took him duck hunting and he would bring back the decoys Would see a pheasnt cross the yard would take him out put him on the scent would look at me like I was nuts and walk away.But he made a great house dog the only thing that made him move was food.And did a great job of keeping everything off the end tables with his tail And WOW could he snore would sleep in the bathtub at night ever hear a dog snore in the bathtub.But then he liked to sleep on the floor next to me and that was even worse. And as far as keeping the BG away they must have got sick of tripping over him and put him in the celler.And yes this is all TRUE
Old April 17, 2005, 11:21 AM   #62
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Well, thanks to this thread, I took the plunge. One 7 week old Catahoula now resides at Casa Luci.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home1?_web.jpg (61.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg sleepy_web.jpg (160.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg crate_web.jpg (94.2 KB, 46 views)
Old April 17, 2005, 06:03 PM   #63
Gewehr98

Rich, you'll have to keep us posted on how your Catahoula pup progresses...

My traveling companion below is 1/2 Catahoula Cur Hound, 1/2 St. Bernard. (Don't ask how the mating happened) Those big webbed feet are really something, and if I was a wild pig being trailed by the big oaf, I'd definitely be concerned.

Housebreaking was quite easy, no crate training, and he'll retrieve things almost up to his body weight (@100 lbs, last time he saw the vet). He's also the first to hop into my truck and sit in the passenger seat, regardless of where or when I'm going...

Neural Misfires
Old April 17, 2005, 08:04 PM   #64
Vic303

Well despite my love of Ridgebacks, and owning two of uncertain parentage, I cannot recommend them as water retrievers, or really retrievers of much of anything. Some I've seen will point, but they don't know they're doing it. However, if you want a great dog for all your choices except the last two, a RR will fill the bill. Just make sure they're an indoor dog. They really do suffer in a penned environment. They are highly social with their human pack. Great sight hunters if you want to run game to ground, but if they can't see it move, well, it ceases to exist to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM003999a.JPG (222.5 KB, 31 views)
Old April 18, 2005, 09:48 AM   #65
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gewehr-
Very handsome dog. And a realy interesting mix. I'll bet he's gentle as they come.

This one seems to be owning up to the Catahoula name. At 7 weeks old, we've had exactly one "accident" in the house. He'd never been intorduced to crates, but seems most at home in one, so long as my shirt is in there.

He's also learning commands like "sit" and "touch in" far quicker than I'd expect of a pup his age. Even tempered and quick bonding. I started rudimentary tracking exercises yesterday, getting him to scent for bits of his noon meal in the grass. He caught on to the game right quick.

I'll keep him for about 8 weeks; then back to the breeder where they have a couple of champions, plus hogs and coon to teach him the ropes.
Rich
Old December 14, 2005, 12:45 PM   #66
Ian2005

Doggie Updates

Ok I see these are 8 months old now. How is the progress going for these pup's and working dog's. Also any owners of standard poodles as hunting buddies report in. Photos are a +. I almost bought one but the wifey said the silly (or maybe not so silly as per this forum) circus harcut image would just make her laugh at him/her all day. I told her that a dog can be groomed in other ways but it was a no sell. Now have two monsterously cute but utterly useless toys doggies. There's compermise for ya'
Old December 14, 2005, 01:12 PM   #67
High Planes Drifter

I really love Catahoulas. They really are an all-around breed. I'd check into one if I were looking for a dog. Obviously they can hunt, but they are also good protectors. There are police agencies here in La. that use them. There are also Catahoulas that compete in Schutzund(spelling?) trials.
Old December 14, 2005, 02:36 PM   #68
Marky

I think its called a .........

I saw on TV the other day a breed i think they called a ''snoop dog'', it had a funny walk but could stand upright somewhat and could almost speak.Pretty ugly breed in my opinion though.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:37 PM   #69
Arizona Fusilier

Update on The Mighty Hussar

Sorry gang, I haven't been around lately. But I do have occasion to add back to this thread, especially now that people are asking for an update.

As of this month, Hussar has earned four passes on his hunt tests, and has earned his AKC Junior Hunter Certificate! I don't know if everbody is up on what all that's about (and I wil readily defer to any old-time AKC folks out there), but basically at the Junior level, you answer the question "Can that dog hunt?". Well in Hussar's case, the answer is yes

I did participate in a fair amount of training this past year (heck, I needed it more than Hussar ), but even so, Hussar had four passes in four tests; I think he's quite the natural. The breeder also think Hussar is a show dog, since he is rather a striking specimen of the breed, so we might get into that. He needs more obedience training before he can step into the ring, so we'll be concentrating on that this next year. Still, I'll be taking him to my club's hunt test training so he can go for his Senior certificate, he has been pretty much training at that level all the time.

In short, I am very pleased with Hussar.He is quite the companion, and he only barks when there's really something on the other side of the fence, so he's a good watchdog, too. Now that I have had one for a year, aI can now recommend without hesitation the Vizsla breed to my fellow TFL'rs, especially those here in the desert southwest that need a shorthaired breed that won't heat up so fast, or for that matter, shed on the couch.