The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
bspillman

charter arms

I just bought a used charter arms under cover DAO bobbed hammer 5 shot. Nice gun. Im wondering if their revolvers have more side to side play in full lock up than other revos. Its not enough to through the timing off but iti is noticeable. It passed the chaeck out from this forum good. I was just wondering
Old May 30, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
PetahW

There should be negligible play - I would advise you telephone Charter (There's a good chance that Nick Eker, the Prexy, will answer the phone) and speak to them about it.

They've fixed used & new revolvers for me, for the bubble, after I sent them in (Shelton, CT).

(It's legal, under Federal Law, for you to ship/receive your own gun for a repair - w/o the use of a FFL either way)

Old May 30, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3
lowercase

I have both new and old Charter revolvers. Mine lock up tight.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
bspillman

I sent them an email. Can any tell me if the warranty us only for the original owner or does it follow the gun.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
PetahW

I've never discussed warranty on the used guns I've sent in for repair, but CA's never charged me (yet - I suppose things could change).

The CA prexy, Nick Ekers, told me that he "wanted the best possible guns as possible out there, and that he would make that happen, even though they're made by humans, and things can go wrong with them."

FWIW, that told me everything I needed to know about Charter Arms............

BTW - They're pretty busy, and IMHO you'll have better luck with a phone call than email. (The TN's on the CA website)

Old May 31, 2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Theophilus

I think they must like PetahW a lot... maybe they know how much he posts on this forum .
Charter once told me that there was a 50$ flat fee for fixing a second-hand gun. Which seemed pretty reasonable, but still expensive enough to persuade me to file my forcing cone down a smidge myself.
For your sake, I hope you get PetahW's deal.
Old June 1, 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
PetahW

I would guess it depends upon the problem - The ones I had were material quality issues, rather than fit/wear.

Although, in today's somewhat impersonal email-world, IMHO a personal conversation can go a long way towards helping oneself. (especially if one's glib )

Call it "the human element".......