The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
southerncomforthemi

Changing S&W 41 mainspring

Hi...anybody know the correct way to change S&W 41 mainspring.

I have changed the ejector, firing pin springs but am stuck on the safe way to approach the mainspring.etc
Old February 21, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
sadsack

Southern: Its been years since I replaced one, but I can't remember any problems with changing it. Let the hammer down to the fire position. Remove the spring retainer pin and slide out the retainer. Replace the spring and reassemble.
Old February 21, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
southerncomforthemi

thanks..its just that it seems to be under a lot of pressure and I was worried about getting it compressed and back in...
Old February 21, 2009, 11:10 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll pull the "IIRC", but that mainspring set up is like the Walther guns, except that the mainspring retainer doesn't act as a magazine catch. With the grips off, just push it up and tip it outward from the top to unhook it. Re-install in reverse.

I am a bit puzzled by the need to change that mainspring as I have never heard of one going bad (unless messed with).

Jim
Old February 22, 2009, 12:55 AM   #5
southerncomforthemi

The gun is about ten years old so i am just going to change all springs to be on the safe side.
Old February 22, 2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I have guns that are 75 years old with the original springs. They still work fine. Springs don't wear out.
This "changing the springs" mantra needs to be stopped. It causes more problems than it solves, for the most part.
Old February 22, 2009, 02:09 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Bill,

A+ on that. It apparently started with a few M1911 types who seemed to be competing to see who changed recoil springs the most often. I think the winner was some guy who said he changed his every 100 (yes, that's right, one hundred) rounds. Absurd, unless he worked for Wolff.

They say springs don't last. If that is true, they are inferior springs, because good ones last and last. Want an example? The valve springs in your car operate thousands of times a minute. How often do you change them? How often does the owners manual say to change them? They are made to last the life of the car, and will still be good when the car is scrapped.

Jim
Old February 22, 2009, 02:12 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

My 1959 smith 41 still has the original spring and its still working perfectly. I recently had the chance to meet the original owner of the pistol through the shop where i bought it, it was great to be able to connect with another person through such a special pistol.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:51 PM   #9
TEDDY

springs

my wifes mod46 has never changed her spring and I have a HI-Standard with same springs not to mention my 1911 [1942]if the spring was changed it was before my time and I have had it since the 1960.and used it in compititon since 69.some people have to tinker.I have a 1873 french revolver and springs are good.an a 1888/1871-84 mauser.all the springs are original except mag spring.leave the darn things alone.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:55 PM   #10
southerncomforthemi

Ok....you guys win, no main spring changing....but I would still like to find full dismantle instructions...

I have found that the trigger bar binds a bit even with cleaning....so would like to know how to remove it so I can make sure its smooth and straight..
Old February 25, 2009, 02:08 PM   #11
mikejonestkd

here's the owner's manual:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...r/Model_41.pdf

It does not go beyond field stripping though...
Old February 25, 2009, 02:34 PM   #12
southerncomforthemi

I cant believe that I cannot find someone how to do a complete strip of an S&W 41.

I need to do a good clean as the gun was left in a real mess by its previous owner.

Also the trigger bar is really sluggish even after new spring.