The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
varminter308

Remington 870 upgrades

I own a remington 870 and am looking to make a few adjustments on it. I want to give it a new tactical stock, a shorter barrel, and a tactical pump. I have the sock picked out but im looking for a place to buy a 20" or 18" barrel for it. It is a super magnum and i cant find any barrels for it that are smaller than what i have. any help would be much appreciated
Old December 27, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2
rantingredneck

You can use a standard 3" barrel on your supermag receiver though you will then be limited to 3" or shorter shells while that barrel is installed.

I personally like Speedfeed II stocks. Numrich has used sets for 35.00 or so. Comes with the short forearm.

Careful not to go overboard with "tactical" and end up with "tackycool"

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 28, 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
tranks

i bought a 18.5 mossberg 870 barrel from cheaper then dirt for $100 and got the shurshot stock off ebay.

today i found some P-clamps and put my light on there. its not going to stay that way, but i wanted to see how it'd look/work.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old December 28, 2008, 03:40 AM   #4
scorpion_tyr

tranks beat me to it. His picture suggest the exact same thing I was going to. I love those new stocks Remington has put out now.

Last edited by scorpion_tyr; December 28, 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 28, 2008, 08:15 AM   #5
varminter308

so mossberg barrels are compatible. never knew that. thanks. oh and im looking at an AR six position stock for with reduced recoil for when im shooting 3 1/2. but that stock is pretty sick. im almost thinking of gettin that instead
Old December 28, 2008, 08:19 AM   #6
jmr40

NO! Mossberg barrels will not work on a Remington. Mossberg makes a barrel specifically as a replacement just for the 870. Why? I have no idea.
Old December 28, 2008, 08:20 AM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
so mossberg barrels are compatible.
Mossberg 500/590/835 barrels are not compatible. But Mossberg makes replacement barrels for Remington 870's.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 28, 2008, 08:20 AM   #8
dalecooper51

Quote:
so mossberg barrels are compatible.
Mossberg makes 870 barrels. Those will work on the 870.

The barrels they make for their own guns will not work on the 870. You cannot put a barrel from an m500 on an 870.
Old December 30, 2008, 10:05 PM   #9
popeyespappy

My tacticool 870, as opposed to my plain Jane HD 870, sports a choate mark 6 stock, side saddle, Nordic mag extension and weaver mount clamp, and Trijicon tritium ghost rings. It holds 19 rounds on the shotgun, is a blast to shoot and would be a really great zombie defense weapon.

I would never even consider this rig for home defense. The only mod my HD gun has is a tritium bead.

Here is the tacticool model before the ghost rings were mounted.

Old December 31, 2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Regular Joe

I think there's no sensible mod to be made to a 12 ga. that doesn't include recoil reduction. I added the Blackhawk SpecOps stock to mine, and I'm actually able to shoot it without flinching, or hurting afterward. I was looking around for an answer to another thread, and found this:
"Adding porting or a muzzle brake to your gun will not do much as far a recoil is concerned, it will mostly reduce muzzle rise so that the recoil is directed straight back into the shoulder and therefore felt less. I currently own a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel. I mainly use this in 3 gun matches and use #4 buckshot loads, and they do kick. I added a Cutts Compensator and also added a Knoxx recoil reducing stock to the setup as well and the felt recoil and muzzle rise is virtually nonexistent."
I don't know what "tacticool" means to you, but sustained, effective fire is the whole thing to me.
Old December 31, 2008, 05:39 PM   #11
tranks

i've fired twice threw that 18" barrel and i remember it rising up pretty good. i'd estimate a foot at the muzzle. (i wasn't expecting it to kick that much) reminds me of the kick on my .357 with some hot loads, only it hurts my should and hands, not just my hands.

one shot was remington 1 oz riffled slug and the other was 000 buck.

i should look into getting a better pad for the end of the shurshot, i had a hell of a bruise on my should after clay shooting with it (28" barrel though). i think i shot over 50 rds w/ a couple in there i wasn't quite ready for, next time if i don't have it shouldered correctly/comfortably i'm going to skip the extra pain. clays are cheap, bruises hurt

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)