The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2002, 04:29 PM   #1
bb gun

Remington 1100 "O" ring

Rem 1100 "O" ring. How long do they last? Is this a factory item or can you use a hardware store ring. It's a LT20. Thanks
Old July 2, 2002, 04:54 PM   #2
K80Geoff

I am definitely not an expert on Autoloading Shotguns but the "O" ring for the 1100 is a factory item and it pays to stick with "O" rings specifically designed for the gun. I would not know how to find the right size "O" ring in Home Depot

As to how long they last, the Technoid over at www.shotgunreport.com
has some opinionated ideas on when they should be replaced. He claims to have shot a pair of 1100s to pieces shooting Trap so you might go there and heed his advice.
Old July 2, 2002, 05:33 PM   #3
Ledbetter

You need a spare.

Suddenly one day you'll be taking your shotgun apart and the O-ring will be frayed-looking. I believe hardware store O-rings are equivalent; I have used one and gotten fine service. I prefer genuine gun parts when available.

Regards.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:42 PM   #4
HSMITH

The hardware store O-ring is not the same as the Remington unit is. The factory O-ring as of the last 10 years or so is metal impregnated, and silver in color when new. The hardware store O-ring will work just fine and at less than a buck vs. about $5 it is a no-brainer. The remington unit seems to last a bit longer, but only maybe 10-20% than the typical nitrile rubber O-ring. Take the original to the hardware store now while it is in good shape and match it up to one there, buy several. If you can get the Viton high pressure O-rings (typically yellow, and slightly stiffer) they hold up a lot better than even the factory unit. Hope this helps.

PS, you can slip one inside the forend before you put it on to carry a spare at all times. It will get dirty but it will not hurt it.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:53 PM   #5
Pull

When the o ring starts to go the gun will start to jam
Old July 2, 2002, 11:30 PM   #6
MiniZ

I used a Home Depot ring in mine for about 900 rounds. When the factory one I had went out, I reached into the spare parts bin and-no spare. I suggest a factory part, but in a pinch hardware store material will get you by.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:27 PM   #7
Ledbetter

HSMITH

Good info. Thanks.
Old July 3, 2002, 08:58 PM   #8
K80Geoff

Oh Brother!!!!

Home Depot for gun parts

They will be running the gunshops out of business if this keeps up!
Old July 5, 2002, 05:48 AM   #9
plateshooter

A #33 O ring should do the trick. You can usually get 2 of them for a buck. I put a little grease on mine so they don't get damaged when taking the barrel off and on. I have never had one go bad when shooting, but have damaged a couple over the years during assembly. For the price of one from Remington, $6.00 last time I checked, you can get a double lifetime supply at ACE Hdw or Home Depot.

Putting a spare in the forearm is a great idea, thanks for the tip.
I will check for the yellow hi pressure type, thanks for that tip too.
Old July 5, 2002, 06:01 PM   #10
Guyon

Good info. I paid $3.50 each for factory O-rings at my local gun store. Haven't had to replace the original, but I've got 'em if I need 'em. I just stuck mine in my choke tube box along with some extra earplugs. That way, I'm always set.