The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2014, 06:56 PM   #1
mohr308

Hornady 223 brass question

So I haven't done any reloading in a few months because components have been scarce. So I hit the local gun shop today and picked up some primers and a box of Hornadys brass for .223. So from what I've heard, Hornadys brass is ready for loading right out of the box! I wanted to see what you all had to say about that statement... I grabbed about 10 cases and put them into my Wilson case gage and found that they all are consistent but the head sits about .005" above the top. In the directions the head should be flush or below the top step and above the lower step. Im not sure what I want to do here. Any suggestions? Here is a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case1.jpg (157.0 KB, 30 views)
Old January 18, 2014, 07:10 PM   #2
jepp2

First thing I do is put the cases in the gage head first. This is way to check for burrs that can impact gage readings.

Most people full size new brass. I only run the expander through the neck to make them round. That is after I check the shoulder datum measurement to the case head. I generally find the shoulder is already set back too much. If that is the case, full sizing them sizes the neck and then expands the neck giving it one additional work cycle. This work hardens the neck.

Have you tried chambering them in your rifle? If they fit, they don't need sized.
Old January 18, 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I have acquired Hornady 223 brass by purchasing loaded ammo, and shooting it. I have no complaints about reloading the Hornady brass. My point is I don't think you need to do anything out of the ordinary. I would full length resize first. Then measure case-length, and trim, if needed.

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 18, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Snyper

I always trim and size new brass just so they are all the same.

Often the case mouths will be out of round, or the necks will have burrs, so I like to make them all consistant from the start

I also deburr the flash holes
Old January 18, 2014, 09:52 PM   #5
mohr308

Im going to be using these in my AR, so I'm not sure if I would be able to chamber these without tossing in a bullet.
Old January 18, 2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Marco Califo

Quote:
Im going to be using these in my AR, so I'm not sure if I would be able to chamber these without tossing in a bullet.
Try slipping a projectile into a case. If the bullet has insufficient neck tension, then you know right there that you need to resize them all first. Which you should do anyway, so that they are all consistent.

Then you could make one dummy round: no primer, no powder, but seat a bullet and crimp (if you crimp). Then manually cycle that round into and then out of the chamber But, if you have resized then you should not have an issue chambering.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:28 AM   #7
mohr308

I took a fired case and put it in my case gage and found that they were almost at the same height as the new cases, so I just full resized them to be safe.