The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2008, 09:02 AM   #1
ultraclassic2008

930 Tactical Jamming Question

I will disassemble and clean as suggested and let you all know if it still jams.

Last edited by ultraclassic2008; November 24, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Katrina Guy

no answer from me, however

once Scattergun Bob sees your post I'm sure you will have one, an answer!
Old November 23, 2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Homerboy

I have the 930 SPX and have put probably 50 rounds through it. I mixed birdshot, slugs, hollow point slugs, buckshot and fired the gun as fast as I could pull the trigger. Not one malfunction. Break it down, clean and lube it, and try again. I am very happy with mine.
Old November 23, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

ultraclassic2008

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you aboard!

I try only to tell folks what I know, not what I guess. At present I have only shot the 930, and tinkered a bit with 1, I have not had the pleasure of owning one. I am going to try and correct that this gun show!! Smitty and I have taken apart his 930 SPX down and cleaned it, examined the gas system and basically had our way with it. Looks a lot like the Beretta gas system which is a great one. Over all I really like this shotgun. I really like the easy down load feature. Smitty has about 250 rounds out of his and no failures yet.

I will spend a moment with you and talk about auto shotguns and preventive maintenance. The secret here is that "no amount of forcefully pulling and pushing on the forend" of this shotgun will make up our lack of perspiration in cleaning and the resulting fouled gas system or dirty chamber. We can get away with that on our pump guns but not with autos, and certainly not in gas operated autos. Even my nearly sainted Benelli 121B that eats anything you throw in the mag tube will start to stumble if I do not keep the chamber clean and shiny.

So my advice to you would be to take down this shotgun, Clean the Chamber area until it shines like a mirror, and is dinner plate clean. Check that the gas system is free of packing material and grease and then re-assemble. Then go shoot the snot out of it and have a great time

Please keep us informed on the outcome of this, I for one will be very interested.

Hope this helps

I always like new guns in my hands, there is unlimited potential there, Congrads on the new 930, my wish to you is as always with a new shotgun "that it will shoot to where you look every time you choose."

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old November 23, 2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Smitty in CT

Congratulations on the new 930!!

By shooting the gun without cleaning it first, it actually makes cleaning it now even harder... the packing grease gets hot and flows ito nooks and crannies making it tough to get out...

Get a good gun cleaner, I like Hoppes Elite Foaming gun cleaner, but any one will work... Strip the gun down as far as your comfortable doing and clean everything, lightly oil everything, make sure wipe of any excess...

Not shooting heavier loads sounds like you've got something going on with your gas system, give it a good soaking and scrubbing, if your getting dirt on your patches or rags after you're done, it's not clean. Once you get it clean, make sure your gas holes are not plugged and your piston is clean. lightly oil everything wiping off any execss, almost dry...

Make sure you swap pistons when you change barrels, Mossberg doesn't supply spare barrels with pistons, you'll wind up with a single shot if you don't.

If you have any questions or need any photos of how something should look let me know, I'm happy to help...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 23, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Katrina Guy

That's it???

Guy buys a brand new shotgun and it had some lub of some kind in it, and it jams jams jams, and it all hinges on whether or not he should have lubed it correctly first?? How low has the American consumer sunk!
Hey bud, after you clean and lube that bad boy, I'd sell it, who wants to own anything that finiky, who would want to depend on something that finiky.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

KG, Guns are not lubed for use from the factory... simply to cycle a test of mechanical movement and then long term storage. It is understood by makers and buyers that assembly lube is just that and with mass production there could also be some machining debris left behind. A shard of metal or heavily lubed chamber does not a junker make... If you tried to store a gun in the southeast in a less than perfectly climate controlled warehouse with out rust inhibitor grease in the chamber and barrel it would be junk in a couple months...
Thus we also swab an oily patch down the bore after cleaning but pass several clean patches before firing it.
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 23, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Smitty in CT

Mossberg doesn't pack their guns in lube.... they pack their guns in some sort of anti-corrosive grease...(almost like axle grease). It might look like lube but it's some "gunky" suff...it might not be a problem for a pump gun, but for an autoloader, you gotta keep 'em clean...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 23, 2008, 05:46 PM   #9
ultraclassic2008

Swap out the pistons when changing barrels?

Im sure if I disassemble and clean/lube it real good it will be fine. The 930 tactical is one bad ass looking weapon. I hope it performs the way it's supposed to after I get the bugs out of it. I bet some of that thick packing grease they use is clogged up in there somewhere . If it still jams I will send it to Mossberg and maybe they will send me two 930's back like they did when I ordered a slug barrel...three months later I got another one just like it...and no I wasn't charged for it I look at my statements...Im still scratching my ass on that deal?

Last edited by ultraclassic2008; November 24, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:52 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would love to own it but I can't swing that much and wouldn't have any use for a rifled barrel for them $ABOT$ slugs... I will, however, own a mossberg auto loader in the next several months. I will try to steer you from a pistol grip only shot gun unless it is just to goof around with.
Brent
Old November 24, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Warthog

I had to spend a bit of time cleaning and lubing my 930 before use. I have always been taught to do so and do it now out of habit -- new or used. BTW, there was a lot of gunk in my NEW 930 Tactical!
Old November 24, 2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Bushmaster1313

Has anyone had any experience running low recoil 8 pellet 00 buck through the 930?

Thanks
Old November 24, 2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Smitty in CT

I've run the following through with no problems:

2-3/4" Winchester #0 Low recoil, 1125 FPS
2-3/4" Federal #00 low-recoil, 9 pellet, 1140 FPS

For HD use I keep my 930 loaded up with 2-3/4" Federal Power-Shok #4 buckshot, 34 pellets @ 1250 FPS. A "little" less over-penetration when using #4 vs. #00

Some folk have had problems with Fiocchi Low recoil not having enough power, I haven't tried their Buckshot, but have had no problems with any of their target loads....

Old November 24, 2008, 11:57 PM   #14
ultraclassic2008

930 tactical operator error

I figured out what my jamming problem was. I didnt realize or notice I should say, that the gas piston had to be removed from the barrel I took off and put into the barrel I put on...another words I was firing my sg without a gas piston in it...the gas piston will stick in it's housing atleast mine did and thats why I didn't notice. I guess I should of compared barrels and made sure the set up was the same.WHO KNEW! I read the owners manual several times when I purchased this sg, honestly the manual doesn't have much at all on changing barrels and definetly doesn't say anything about making sure you put a gas piston in when swapping barrels...guess thats just something you learn from being a dummy. I have since cleaned and lubed it well and all is fine (I shot 20 rounds with no problems and even changed barrels to fire slugs)..that packing grease was thick in places and was causing problems with the gas piston and bolt action aswell. It jammed up some even when I was using the barrel with the gas piston in because it was thick greasy dirty...advice to new 930 owners or any gun for this matter, break it down and learn it,clean and oil it well and avoid the aggrevation I had.

Last edited by ultraclassic2008; November 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old November 25, 2008, 01:35 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

well don't beat yerself about the head and neck too much... And you should just feel super that i will not worry of this issue when I own a 930 of my own. Yeah I woulda cleaned the new gun but the piston thing is greek to me since break barrels and pumps are my only shot gun experience...
Brent
Old November 25, 2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Homerboy

My 930 came from the factory with hardly any grease on it. I field stripped it and lubed it up. The first few times are a PITA with the reassembling, though. Remember to put the trigger group in LAST after you have the bolt in. Makes it way easier to line up the link with the plunger, and watch the pins that love to fall out of the trigger group!
Old December 31, 2008, 04:33 PM   #17
kennywiz

Get it home, take it down, clean it, and lube it liberally. Reassemble, sit down with it, open the bolt and let it slam home a few hundred times. Take it back down, clean, and lubricate. It now is ready for use.