The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
mo84

load for 44 desert eagle

I loaded some ammo for my dads 44 desert eagle and it almost cycles it but still hangs up (wont close all the way). The load I use is 240 gr. with the max load of H110 in the hornady book (forget what it is at the moment and book is not avaliable) I was thinking about up loading it a bit to see if it helps. we were shooting it with a 14 inch barrel on. also the safety would click half way down on most shots but when we got some factory ammo it wouldn't do that anymore. kinda weird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44 and 380 range.jpg (141.5 KB, 55 views)
Old February 22, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Sevens

How old is the Desert Eagle and how many rounds through it? The dual-nested twin recoil springs do need replaced after so many rounds -- if your pistol is cycling but won't close all the way, I'd explore this idea.

Also, not that you are ignorant, but it always pays to mention since it wasn't brought up: No unjacketed lead bullets in a Desert Eagle EVER, as they will clog up the gas port and fixing this may be near impossible.

I run a Desert Eagle with 240gr Nosler JHPs and a stiff load of 2400. This load is max in some sources, a bit over in other sources, but it runs well.
Old February 22, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Kayser

I have had similar frustrating experiences loading 44 mag for the Desert Eagle. General cycling problems, failure-to-extract, failure to go into battery, etc. .

I have loaded it for 50ae and haven't had these problems, so I've always suspected that my middle-of-the-range 44 mag loads aren't giving it enough power to properly move that gigantic slide and springs.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Hook686

I reload for my Desert Eagle XIX in .44 magnum. I load:

200 grain GDHP with 27.5 grains W296
270 grain GDSP WITH 21.5 grains W296
300 grain Nosler with 14.8 grains Alliant 2400
240 grain Nosler JHP with 19.3 grains of Alliant 2400

I've not have any cycling problems with these. There is not much spread high to low for W296 and these are the high end. For the Alliant 2400 there is more spread and these are toward the low end. I've had no problems with either of these powders in cycling the DE. My pistol is only a couple years old, is the basic 6" barrel and has perhaps 1500 rounds through it in .44 magnum and .357 magnum. Sevens might have a good point.

Good luck and keep us DE users posted on how it goes.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 22, 2012, 07:57 PM   #5
mo84

Thanks, we were useing semi jacketed and full jacket bullets and it didnt seem to matter. I will have to try some of the loads mentioned and see if this helps. I know the gun is old but I am not sure how much my dad has shot it. replacing the springs may help but it runs fine on factory ammo so it may just be the reloads.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
covcreo

Desert Eagle 44 Mag load data

I've been lurking for a while reading post on Desert Eagle 44mags and their loads. I recently purchased one for myself; "yes I know movie gun and so on I've seen the hate posts." It is a gun I have wanted for some time. I know this is an old post but feel it needs to be revived and updated.

I have been reloading off and on since My first Red hawk in 1984 and would like to get some good information on powder, primer, and loads for the D.E.
Specifically, what is the cleanest burning powder and most recommended by forum users.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #7
RB98SS

Quote:
Specifically, what is the cleanest burning powder and most recommended by forum users.
I own a .44 and .50 barrel for my DE and it is of my opinion that by far the cleanest powder is VV N110. I've pretty much tried them all. It is the most expensive however.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
covcreo

VV N110

can you supply load data; primer,bullet, and grains that you have found best for your 44 DE?
Old February 19, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9
blacktalon

I know this is an older post but I wanted to chime in. I used to have the same problem. I have a MK7 and it's about 20 years old. I bought it brand new. I shoot 240gr FP with 24G of H-110. Almost 1 or 2 out of every mag would not let the slide close all the way. I would just have to bump the slide and it would fire np. I bought a Lee factory crimp die and have never had the problem again. It's been about 500 rounds and not one jam. Might look into your crimp and see if that takes care of it. Good shooting.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Constrictor

I had to sign up just to respond to this thread.
I have found my 44 desert eagle to simply be the
most reliable auto I own! its the one weapon that
has never ever jammed once in all the many years
ive owned it. Ive shot all kind of ammo through her,
all handloads. right now my favorite load is 180g JHP
over 25.5g 2400.
This gun is my favorite pistol!