The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
cobra81

MEC 9000 Crimp

I loaded about 300 12 gauge shells (Win AA) last night and noticed that the shells were not getting a very deep crimp. In fact, some of them were rounded on the crimp end. I adjusted the crimp punch down and tweaked the crimp starter, and finally set the cam adjustment down a little. That seemed to help on some of the shells, but some of them were still not crimped flat.
This is the 2nd loading for these hulls, and I was using 17.5 gr. of Clays, with 1 oz. of shot over Green Duster wads. Never had this problem with the MEC before, just wondering if any of you with MEC progressives might have some insight or tips.
Thanks.
Old October 28, 2005, 07:25 AM   #2
HSMITH

Can you post a picture of the crimps? I have loaded plenty on a 9000G and could probably help if I could see the crimps.
Old October 28, 2005, 10:44 AM   #3
cobra81

Crimp photos

Here's 3 photos of one of the shells I had a problem with. I know the close-ups aren't the best, but what I was trying to capture is the "domed" shape of the crimp.
I've experienced crimp "swirls" and a small hole in the center of the crimp before, but the finished crimp up til this batch has always been flat.
After 10 or so of these "domed" shells, I loosened the crimps punch nut and turned the screw clockwise 1/12 turns. Fewer crimps being domed after this, but still 2 or 3 out of 10 would look like this.
I pulled shells at random and weighed the powder charge, and re-checked shot charge also just to make sure I wasn't putting too much powder or shot in the hull.
The Green Duster is the specified wad in the 1 oz. recipe from Hodgdon, and I 've used it a lot in the past and never had this problem.
One other thing; immediately prior to loading these shells, I had loaded a couple dozen Remington Nitro and Premier STS hulls with no problem.....maybe switching from Remington to Win AA hulls screwed up some setting on the MEC....

Take a look at the shells and let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old October 28, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4
carpfisher

I can't see the pictures.
Are you using the new AA HS hull? Winchester has specified some directions that the Crimp starter and the finisher need to be adjusted due to some design changes isn the hull. The info is printed in the new Handloading (available on line from the Win website). They even use a MEC reloader in the pictures, although is it a single stage press.
I use a Hornady 366 and Hornady had to redesign their crimping dies to accomade the AA HA hull. Since I changed the final crimp die and adjusted the crimp starter, I am back to making good looking, well crimped reloads.
Old October 28, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5
cobra81

Technical difficulty

Well, I have snapped the digital photos and downloaded them to my computer.
But try as I might, I cannot get them uploaded to this post! When I click on the attachment icon, I get the "Manage Attachments" box, and then I browse to the file on my hard drive where I have saved the photos as JPEG files, but then when I try to upload them, I get a "unable to move/copy file" message.
The file size is less than the limits posted. Not my day, I guess.
Anyway, the hulls are Win AA and they don't have any markings on them or on the box that would indicate they are different from regular AA hulls. (They do have a bright base, rather than the gold, if that makes any difference.)
Old November 1, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6
carpfisher

Look inside the shell. If is is a new HS hull, you can see the new inner layer of material that strengthens the hull ( HS=High Strength). It look like a parting line from a two piece mold about 1/2 way up the shell.
AA used to be one piece but now they are 2-piece.
Old November 1, 2005, 09:54 PM   #7
cobra81

Shell Crimp Photos

Finally figured out the pictures......any suggestions?