The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2005, 07:58 PM   #1
rwfisher

stiff hunting boots

I'm looking for a new pair of hunting boots. The cornstalkers I've been using for the last several years are getting long in the tooth....

I have a pair of hiking boots (very stiff, heavy-duty backpacking boots) that I have found to be great for hunting in rocky, steep terrain. The only drawback is that they're soled with a hard rubber that makes a racket in the woods. Does anyone know of a very stiff hunting boot that has a soft sole (perhaps vibram?)?
Old October 6, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Danner Trophy Hunters.....you'll never do better.

If you have specific foot problems, WestCo Boots will make custom boots for a very reasonable price. You pick everything from the height to the sole to the lacing. Very stiff. Long break-in.

Rich
Old October 6, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hmmm. Interesting about how folks feel about how stuff works. In no way am I gonna say that the stiff boots are "wrong", but I've gone the opposite direction.

I hunt in very steep, very rocky country down here in the desert. Walking hunting, 12 to 15 miles in a day. (My legs went and got old on me, so I don't go so far these days.) I've always preferred a flat, crepe-soled Russell Bird Hunter or Red Wing 20-mile. My experience has been that the soft sole sorta "wraps around" the rocks. On the sharp stuff, it's sorta like an art gum eraser on sandpaper.

, Art
Old October 6, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
hkg3

Have you looked into Redwings?
Old October 6, 2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting how ideas about footware have changed over the years. When I worked for the Natl. Park Service in the 70's, they issued Pivetta 5 hiking boots. They were made in Italy and were hard as a brick. VERY stiff. I think the idea was to prevent stone bruises when walking over lava and sharp granite. They're also expensive. I bought a pair of Kastinger Tarns (handmade in Switzerland) shortly thereafter, and they went for over $200. then. Who knows what they go for now? But they do wear like iron, and I still have them, in good shape, today. Then there's the rock climbers philosophy: They like them so supple that they're almost like slippers. Today the trend seems to lean towards lighter, flexible boots that give good ankle support and allow you to "feel" the trail. The Danners Rich mentioned are good ones today, maybe the best. I used to like Rocky's, both at work and for hiking, but they seem to wear out fast, and the way they're made, they can't be repaired or re-soled anywhere except Rocky Boots. I think the best thing, though, is to try on different boots and see what's most comfortable for you. Careful though; if they're even slightly uncomfortable in the store, you'll be absolutely miserable in the field.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 7, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6
Pointer

Too heavy

Too bulky

TOO LOUD! (Clomp, clomp, clomp)

Go light, Goretex and Thinsulate.
Big on toe space.
D-ring lacing with hooks near the top.

Don't look for "pretty"...
The animals don't care what they bleed on.
Old October 7, 2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For a walking hunter, Quiet Is Good.

I've taken my Russells and Red Wings to a boot shot and had an extra layer of leather (1-1/2" x 3") sewn onto the upper just above the sole, at the instep area, at the arch of the foot. Protects against rocks.

Down here, you can't use boots with any type of cloth insert in the upper. Cactus. And there's another darlin' little number called "Lecheguilla", which is like a dagger plant the spikes are from ground level to maybe 15" high.

Between that stuff and catclaw, sometimes you just have to learn to play through pain.

Art
Old October 7, 2005, 09:39 AM   #8
VirgilCaine

+1 for the Danners. Great boot. Here in Michigan I walk everything from hardwood forest to sandy trails to cedar swamps and cornfields. Sometimes all in one day! These boots will get you there and back. An occasional sock change and the 'ol dogs are good as new.

With proper care, they will last forever.

Boots are one piece of gear NOT to be cheap about. They can make all of the difference sometimes.
Old October 7, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Foxman

+1 here for Danners and also Matterhorn ( Cove Shoe Inc). Both made in US and my original Matterhorns still going after 15 yrs with new soles on. I can walk all day in either.
My legs getting old on me plus other bits too!