The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 4, 2000, 04:33 PM   #1
faiello5

In the never ending quest to find faster and easier ways to clean lead out of my 1911 bores, I was told that that a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide works like a champ. Was told to remove the barrel, stop-up the muzzle end, pour in the mixture, let sit for 5 minutes, empty contents, wash barrel in warm soapy water, dry & oil. Claimed to remove all lead with no scrubbing. Anyone ever try it? Any potential damage to the bore?

Regards,
Frank

Old October 4, 2000, 08:42 PM   #2
trlmech

Frank, I haven't tried this myself but have read that it works but if you leave it in to long it will put pits in the barrel and some one responded that it dosen't pit the barrel, it just cleans it out so good you see pits you did't know you had
Old October 4, 2000, 09:08 PM   #3
Bill Daniel

faiello5: I have use this 50/50 mix but only for 3 minutes and it worked well. Lately, I have taken to dunking my pistol barrels in Butch's Bore Shine and leaving it to soak till I finish with the rest of the guns. I then brush the bore lightly,dry and lubricate with Break Free. The bore shines and I do not have to contemplate soaking my barrel in a weak acid.
All the best,
Bill Daniel

------------------
Prosecute criminals to the fullest extent of the law and their weapons will become harmless.
Old October 5, 2000, 11:10 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've seen several cases where this mixture has caused INCREDIBLE damage to a bore.

When I was with NRA, we purposly fouled a surplus 1911 bore to try this. The bore was in good shape, as shown by our borescope.

We left it in for 10 minutes (the amount of time that someone had recommended in a letter to the magazine), and then examined the bore.
Moon craters.

It, and heavily ammoniated solvents, are two things I don't recommend.

Get a Hoppes lead remover, and remove the fouling mechanically.

Then invest in some hard cast bullets, and the leading problem should become pretty much a thing of the past.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old October 6, 2000, 11:32 AM   #5
Jeff, CA

Mike - do heavily ammoniated solvents include Sweet's 7.62? How heavy is heavy?

Old October 6, 2000, 01:22 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jeff,

to tell you the truth, I can't remember exactly which solvents are the ones that I would avoid.

I THINK that Sweet's has a lot of ammonia in it.

Hoppes Copper Cutter also has ammonia in it, but I don't think nearly as much.

Pretty much if you open the bottle and get more than just a whiff of ammonia, I believe it's too much.

Precision Shooting magazine has done some very interesting work on the subject, and has come up with some surprising conclusions.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old October 6, 2000, 02:56 PM   #7
9x45

This mixture is very old. The chemistry is that lead corrodes rapidly in the prescence of excess oxygen, which is provided by the hydrogen peroxide, and the resultant lead oxide is very soluble in a weak acid, the white vinegar. I haved used this mixture on stainless barrels, and never observed any damage to the bore or chamber.