The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Ozzieman

7mm rem mag

Browning Gold Medallion 7mm Rem. Mag. With 4X Leupold.

I have a 7mm mag that I plan on taking deer hunting in the next couple of months and need some suggestions for loads, bullets and powder.
I am knowledgeable in loading and have loaded thousands of 30-06 and smaller 6mm rem. But have no experience with belted cases or the care and feeding of a mag.
I have just about every loading book that money can buy but would like a suggestion from some one that has loaded and hunted with this round.
I will be going up to the UP of Michigan and ranges will not exceed 200 yards and the deer will max out under 200 LB.
The gun has been broken in with factory and will hold a 2 inch group at 100 even though it kicks like a really mad mule.
Suggestions that I need are bullet type and weight and best powder for a Magnum gun.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:33 PM   #2
LHB1

Ozzie,
I used a 7 MM Rem Mag several years for whitetails. Since full power 7 Mag ballistics are not necessary on whitetails out to 200 yds, I picked a 7 Mag load equivalent to 7x57 Mauser or medium power .280 Rem velocities. See standard loading manuals for specific 7 Mag loads in these ranges using 130-140 grain bullets. Worked GREAT, accurate, much less recoil, and allowed me to place my shots more precisely for one shot kills. Reserved full power 7 Mag loads for possible elk hunts which I still haven't made.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 25, 2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Thanks

Its not a gun that I would have choosen but it was given to me and I might as well put it to use.
I was surprised at the recoil and diddnt look into reduce loads.
But its a good idea.
Old September 25, 2005, 02:19 PM   #4
impact

Something you may want to think about. Powders like AA3100 don't do so well in cold weather. When 3100 gets cold It will have a severe pressure drop when fired as compared to warmer weather. I saw a chart somewhere that shows how temperature affects different powder. Do a google you may find something.
Old September 25, 2005, 02:22 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

I'd worry more about moving the shoulder back and forth

It would be really hard to find a load that wasn't up to the job. I'd be sure to get a Wilson case gauge so as to be sure I wasn't moving the shoulder back and forth in shooting and resizing.

For myself I loaded only 160 grain spitzers and used one load for everything - I started with IMR4831 and moved to IMR 7828 when that came out in cannister but of course a 140 grain - or even less - at 7X57 or 7mm-08 equivalent performance will do everything anyone could want for eastern deer hunting.

I'd go with factory reduced recoil loads and be happy for hunting where I didn't need maximum power and accuracy.
Old September 25, 2005, 02:26 PM   #6
LHB1

Ozzie,
IMO there are many occassions when lighter loads (within safe limits) would be better for shooters than using full power loads. I don't run my car at full throttle all the time (sometimes when passing another car on the highway and then only very briefly) so why should I run my rifle at full thottle when not needed? That is one of the major benefits of reloading. Lighter loads in 7 Mag for game smaller than elk makes good sense to me. My 7 Mag can shoot like a 7x57 or .280 or full power 7 Mag as I prefer. Some shooters may disagree but that is each person's choice.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 27, 2005, 09:03 AM   #7
FrontSight

Buy a Sims Limbsaver Recoil Pad

Wow, how similar things are between us - I went a few months ago to sight in a 7mm Rem Mag Savage Bolt Action that I won in a raffle, and that sucker kicked so hard that I couln't take it anymore after one box (I know, that's waaaaay too many shots needed to sight in, but I hardly ever shoot). I had a bruise about 6 inches long on my shoulder/arm the next day.

Anyways, I put a custom fit Sims Limbsaver Recoil Pad on it, and holy cow, the difference was night and day. I went this past sunday to finish sighting it in, and made the newb mistake of shooting too much and the barrel got hot so the shots were going everywhere until the range officer advised me to wait until the barrel cools. Must have been the same mistake I made last time

Long story a little shorter, it took me 30 shots (pathetic, I know) but I didn't feel a thing! The pad was a godsend, you should look into it. Cabelas carries some, but not all models I think. I found this sight that sells alll of them, and you can check the templates if you are not sure which you need: http://www.gunaccessories.com/limbsaver/mastertemps.pdf

Hope it helps
Old September 28, 2005, 10:19 PM   #8
siotwo

I love the BarnesX bullet in my 7mag...150grain. I used Ballistic tips at first, but they made a nasty exit wound.
Old October 1, 2005, 07:57 AM   #9
mildot

I use the A-frame in my 7 mag...love it...
Old October 1, 2005, 04:36 PM   #10
Toney

I've had very good results with speer 130g sp bt at 7mm mauser speeds
Old October 1, 2005, 06:59 PM   #11
HSMITH

Reloader 19 and Sierra 160 grain Gamekings.
Old October 1, 2005, 07:53 PM   #12
Smokey Joe

Coldness...

Ozzie--If temperature changes are a concern (and I know that it can get really freezy in the UP!) you might look into the Hodgdon Extreme line of powders--they're advertised specifically as temperature-insensitive.

The idea of loading down for deer seems excellent to me, too. That's one of the major reasons some people reload.

--Smokey Joe