The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2014, 06:12 PM   #26
sawdustdad

Quote:
Would you mind sharing your sourse for the Trail Boss powder? It sounds like you ordered it rather than from the LGS.
Yes, ordered it on line from Natchez I think. I don't even know what LGS is, but I am guess it's a sporting goods retailer? Don't have them in Virginia as far as I know.

Quote:
I have no doubt. The only reason I didn't mention it among my poor metering powders is because I don't use it.
I tried 800x in 9mm, but it was a disappointing exercise. It does nice, though in 44mag loads. Being bulky, it fills the case pretty well.

Last edited by sawdustdad; December 5, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old December 5, 2014, 06:48 PM   #27
condor bravo

Sawdustdad:
Thanks for the info. LGS refers to Local Gun Shop.
Old December 5, 2014, 09:01 PM   #28
sawdustdad

Quote:
LGS refers to Local Gun Shop
LOL. OK, that makes sense. Sorry for being so thick. My "LGS" has had some pistol powder--I have been able to get one lb of Autocomp and another lb of HP-38 from my LGS over the past few months. But they are about 30 miles from my home, and limit purchases to 1 lb per day.

The large national retailer here--really only a Bass Pro--has had nothing. Neither has the large regional retailer, fabled "Green Top Sporting Goods" (greentophuntfish.com), a mid-atlantic family owned gun store fixture for 50 years, has had nothing for months--and I'm in there about once a week.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old December 5, 2014, 09:19 PM   #29
Scorpionbowl

Holy cow...in the lucky to be alive post he used like 40gr of titegroup by mistake. That has nothing to do with the suitability of a pistol powder for rifle. There are plenty of pistol powders for rifle out there, just do the research and follow the data, and work up as required.
Old December 6, 2014, 11:10 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

That was a simple mistake. I've seen quite a few rifles over the years that have suffered a similar fate, unfortunately.

I'm lucky in that a few years ago I set up a large group buy from Powder Valley and that put me in good stead for powder for a long time.

The Trail Boss I bought locally at one of the shops in Northern Virginia.

I've not had a lot of time to shoot lately, so it's going a long way.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 6, 2014, 06:49 PM   #31
Greg Mercurio

I've used TB extensively from .35 up to .458 sized rifle cartridges. It's a lot more fun to play with cast bullets and TB in a .450 NE or .416 Rigby than full house loads. Accuracy is fine, recoil is negligible, and if you want to work on the basics of shooting without developing a flinch, it's ideal. It's also an excellent choice to use to introduce new shooters to the pleasures of shooting without beating them to death and discouraging their entry into the shooting sports. Plinking loads in .44 Magnum are just plain fun to shoot.

Do not be cavalier about loading with it, follow Hodgdon's load development process without deviation. Once you try it you'll get hooked. I can't speak to availability though. I bought a lot of it in bulk a few years ago and it goes a long, long way.