The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 1, 2015, 07:21 PM   #51
1stmar

Looks awesome... Congrats
Old January 12, 2015, 12:53 AM   #52
crane550

As per the advice I went ahead and changed out the scope mounts on my Remington 700 .270. These should work a lot better. Now I get to zero my rifle again.

Before:

After:

I also pulled the 2-7x Leupold scope off of my Weatherby Vanguard .223 and am replacing it with the Vortex Viper 4-16x50. The Leupold is going on a new AR15 build which you can follow here:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557001

Silas doesn't want to give it back.

Also I did a trigger job on the 700. Not super hard. Not sure what the new pull is, but it is MUCH lighter. I didn't overdo it- but it does feel nice and light. I did the slam test, cycled it hard many many times to check for accidental firing. The only thing I did not do is put nail polish over the screws. Is this important? Easy fix I suppose but if its not needed then I won't bother.

I did some reloading. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Out of my first batch only 5 were good, but I'm getting better. Still learning. Getting some crinks around the necks. Here are the rejects:

I have a friend who can pull the bullets and reclaim the powder and bullets.

Also got my helper.
Old January 12, 2015, 01:37 PM   #53
cw308

First I want to say what a beautiful job you did on your work bench. Have no dought your work on your rifle, reloading & shooting will be the same. I'm a benchrest shooter. Started with a Rem.700 308 cal. in the quest for better accuracy I like you adjusted the trigger. Then bedded the action with devcon 10110 steel putty, worked great to improve my groups. I shoot 200 yards, using the same rifle for 10 years, it becomes a part of you, once you practice with your rifle for awile all the fears disappear. I always mix in a dummy round to double check me every time I shoot. Now that your into reloading,take a fired case leave the used primer in size the case like you do your loaded rounds, I fill the case with cotton, seat the bullet, mix it in with your loaded rounds, its a good way to test yourself. Reloading is another venture, Get a Uniformer, uniform your primer pockets, cleans And cuts the pocket to the proper depth, you will never have a problem seating a primer. Don't mix your brass, different brands can be thicker which will change the way the round will shoot. Trim your brass & keep headspace to a minimum. Again,A guy that can build a bench like that, I have no dought will master the above. Welcome to the family. Chris