The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2014, 05:23 PM   #1
chris in va

CX4 or 9mm AR upper?

I'm a little fuzzy on how this works.

I miss having a 9mm carbine. Looking around the past couple years I've settled on these two choices, but I can't figure out if I can simply buy a complete upper for my S&W Sport or would it be more complicated than just pulling a couple pins and swapping out the upper.

The CX4 is rather expensive at $800. But it's a stand alone unit and it works, unlike the HiPoint I had. Plus it takes hi cap mags, a major plus.

Help?

BTW I reload and cast my own 9mm, if that makes any difference.
Old January 7, 2014, 05:48 PM   #2
9x19

A 9mm upper won't run on a standard lower (being straight blow-back rather than gas operated, it uses a different buffer and spring), so it's not a simple two-pin swap.

Most folks I know who have an AR-based 9mm have a complete dedicated rifle setup for it.

There is also the Just Right Carbine in 9mm, not as slick as the CX4, but another option. The CX4 I owned ran fine and was a breeze to take down and clean.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:20 PM   #3
chris in va

Have the problems with the JRC been fixed?
Old January 7, 2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
unlike the HiPoint I had.
What were the problems with the Hi-Point besides using high cap mags that screw up the bolt?? I have a 4095TS with no issues at all.

Jim

You could look at the Kel-Tec it also folds and uses Glock Mags.
Old January 7, 2014, 07:40 PM   #5
tahunua001

as 9x19 has pointed out it is not a simple upper swap. you need a beefier buffer and in most cases a heavier hammer as well. also, you need a magwell adapter to take you choice of either straight stick colt mags(or modified uzi mags) or glock mags. the glock blocks had hit or miss reputations last I checked. the colt mag version is the one that works the best and I personally have the best luck with metal form mags in my 9mm.

I would personally take the 9mm AR over any other pistol cal carbine but it is definitely something that you want a dedicated rifle for rather than just swapping all the time.
Old January 7, 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
9x19

Quote:
Have the problems with the JRC been fixed?
The reports I've read from recent purchasers of Glock-mag 9mms and .40s have all been positive in terms of function... some of the .45 Glock-mag rifle buyers still report some issues (mag related).
Old January 7, 2014, 08:21 PM   #7
skizzums

i have to go with the hi-point, not sure what problems you were having, but hi-point would gladly fix it, my wife puts about a hundred rounds through hers every weekend for the last two years, very little ever an issue, every problem we ever had was probably my handloads
but that thng eats everything from puff loads to hot loads, 115gr to 147gr no probs, cant beat it for 289$, i really like the the new taurus carbine but dont really see how they are 3x better than the hi-point