The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 2, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
10 22 bolt dragging with BX-25ers only

I have a newer (bought new) 10/22fs that works just fine with 10 round Ruger mags. The minute that I run a BX-25 (any of several) the bolt drags across the top of the mag (near the feed lips) and slows the bolt to the point of failure to feed.

Yes, I have disassembled the entire rifle and cleaned it.
Yes, this is not my first 10/22; have had a number over the years.
Yes, the BX-25 mags work in different 10/22s.

I am wondering if there is a designed dimensional difference between the 10 and 25 round mags, on the top of the mag (guessing not, but one never knows until...); I haven't measured, yet there are drag marks on the 25ers.

Anyone else have this issue? And/Or possible remedies? I am considering polishing the bolt where it interfaces with the BXs. I would prefer not to have to send it back to the mothership/Ruger if possible.

Just another item on an unending "Todo" list for the day...

Now, go figure...
Old August 2, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
grogg88

They should be the same dimensionally. Hold one up next to a ten rounder and snap a pic if you can. It's most likely the magazine. If the issue is in your receiver you may need to go with T.I. mags...
Old August 2, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3
AZAK

Well, four out of four stock Ruger 10 rounders work just fine, and four out of four BX-25s don't. All bought over a period of time from a few different venues.

I will have to break out the calipers.

I am guessing that my bolt is a bit on the "larger" side of spec where it interfaces with the top of the mag; but am wondering if the BX-25 is actually a bit larger, by design and/or execution, in this area than the 10 rounders.

Now, go figure...
Old August 3, 2013, 07:04 AM   #4
noorked

one of my friends used this method to fix his issues. http://www.takdriver.com/showthread....Feed-Issue-Fix
Old August 3, 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

I've had this happen with Butler Creek steel lips. I just sended a few thousands off the top of the feed lips. Be very gentle not to take too much. I've never seen this on a BX-25 though. Mine have been nearly 100 percent reliable in several of my 10/22's.

I bet you're gun is a right on the edge of spec. I doubt you bought several magazines from different places and they were all out of spec.

I have 10 BX-25's, one BX-25 X2 and three 10/22's. The only issues I've had were with some truncated cone ammo that sat in a spee-D-loader for several years and got deformed.

Boomer
Old August 5, 2013, 02:58 AM   #6
AZAK

After taking a few moments to compare the two different capacity mags, I did notice that they are different in a number of ways.

The finish on the 10 rounders is much, much smoother in the area where my bolt is contacting on the 25 rounders. The finish on the BXs is very rough. I am talking about the large plane which is to the left of the feed lips looking through the sights. Very different. And at this point I am leaning toward this as a major contributing factor.

The entire metal feed lip part is also different between the two; same basic look, yet differently executed, look at the heights.

I polished up one of my BXs to see if that would help; not too much polishing and no help.

I have yet to take my calipers to any of this.

Any other thoughts?

Now, go figure...
Old August 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Seven High

I would be calling Ruger customer service. They might want to swap out your BX25 magazines for new/improved ones.