The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Tmitch

Getting back into reloading

I'm getting back into reloading after I retired. Should I wait and buy new or try to buy used equipment after the dust settles? I will be reloading only pistol, 44 mag, 45 auto rim.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
I'm getting back into reloading after I retired. Should I wait and buy new or try to buy used equipment after the dust settles?
Right now you will probably spend more for used equipment than you will for new after the dust settles. Demand is so strong currently that prices are excessively high.

A lot will depend on:
1. how many rounds a month do you fire?
2. how much time do you want to spend on loading?
3. the answers to 1. and 2. will determine if you want a progressive or single stage press.
4. compare the price for used equipment with new if it were available.
5. decide how much premium you are willing to pay for having the equipment sooner.

I am always Ok with buying used, but I don't buy junk or someones problem they are tying to dump. Good quality equipment that is well cared for is just as good as new. Equipment from suppliers that have an excellent reputation for service always commands a premium sale price. Unless you find someone that doesn't understand the value of used equipment you will pay nearly as much for a used Dillon press as a new one.

I would suggest waiting 6 months and hopefully the worst of the demand will have subsided.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
lamarw

I think only you can answer your own question. There are just "too many unknowns" to the question. What type of system, how soon are you retiring, what is the market going to be like when you are ready to retire, and the list go's on and on. There are some folks who want the best of the best and their shooting habits justify higher cost systems like Dillon vs. more common Lee and others makers (not only maker but the system capability). This is just one "what if" in your very broad question.

Good luck with your retirement. I think your decision to get back into reloading is a wise one. I am enjoying my retirement years and ofter wonder how I had the time to ever work for a living.
Old April 12, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

I would buy new, especially now, since anyone that has used equipment seems to want almost new prices for it anyway ...unless its just junk ( and you don't need the aggravation).

Now if you have a buddy that is unloading some of his equipment - that's different. You might find a great deal.....but like in all things firearms related / you really need to know what you're looking at when you inspect used loaders.

I see a lot of loaders at our local gunshows...and if I were in the market for another machine ( I'd probably pass on 75% of what I see --- mostly because I can tell its been abused or didn't have all the parts that came with it, when it was new).