The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
essohbe

Alumihyde over existing paint?

Can I spray alumihyde over existing paint on my 10|22 reciever?

I was planning on just roughing it up with sandpaper then degressing it real good. Brownells says you have to sand blast it off but I don't know if that's really necessary or not.

Do I have to remove the existing paint? It's like duracoat or something.
Old December 16, 2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Scorch

You only have to remove the existing paint if you want the new finish to stick. If that doen't matter to you, then spray away.

Brownells recommends sand or abrasive blasting to remove all oil, wax, paint, etc, that might interfere with adhesion. If you follow their directions, the finish will last almost indefinitely.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Pahoo

The 10/22 reciever is one of the easiest fireams to strip. I did a Ceramacote a couple of years ago and it is tougher than I expected. Really did a great job. The worst part, was the smell but that didn't last all that long.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 17, 2009, 12:55 AM   #4
essohbe

Gross

I sanded and degreased my reciever and have applied Alumihyde with the heat gun method (like on YouTube). I have to say that I don't like this. Duracoat in an airbrush is WAY better. Putting the epoxy paint in a spray can, although they compressed it well, has left an uneven spray coming out (no it wasn't the nozzles either).

It's okay because I don't care about it looking pretty, but seriously, you get runs if you don't do LIGHT coats. It sprayed these little "globs" out too, so now I have little pods or tiny lumps in the first coating. After several more it lookes a little more even but I also have clear matte to do after the whole thing cures in a few weeks.

Just a note to anyone who cares, USE DURACOAT. Eff the alumyhyde in a spray can if you want it to look professional.

:barf: