The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Evan-0-Matic

Beretta M9A1...my first pistol (Pics!)

Howdy guys...

So first of all, i would like to thank all of you who have commented on several of my threads...all of which in some way had to do with my choice of what gun to buy.
It's funny because at first i had my heart set on a Ruger p95, then a SIG 226, then a Glock 19, then a Beretta PX4, and finally i found the M9A1...i couldn't be happier! I haven't shot this gun yet, but i know i can hit whatever i aim at with a 92 (a rental 92 by the way) so i figure this shouldn't be any different, but i'll have a range report soon.

Here are some pics :]

I also picked up three 18 round Mec-Gar mags (flush fit by the way!), a Hogue grip, and some Winchester 124 grain 'Golden Saber' cartriges for my duty ammo.
The ammo was on recommendation at the shop, so any input would be nice! Thanks again fellas.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Chesster

Congrats. I would go ahead and pick up at least another trio of good factory or mil-contract mags myself. I have found the big Beretta a bit bulky for CCW but it will fill the hand and shoots well on the range. I have carried one in a day planner holster and in a brief case. I have one close by my bed at night as it is easier to handle coming out of a deep sleep when your fine motor skills are still a bit muted.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 29, 2009, 06:36 PM   #3
WC145

Who are you working for that you're letting the guy at the gun shop tell you what to carry for duty ammo?
BTW, Golden Saber is made by Remington, not Winchester.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Evan-0-Matic

Hmm...you may be right but both companies use a similar font for their logo, so maybe i got confused, the boxes are long gone now.

And from what i've read these bullets are top o' the line. And i'm one of the few who use 9mm at my company (personal preferance, and it WILL get the job done) so i had to get some other opinions, and the gun shop guys have always been helpful.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:39 PM   #5
spyderdude

Congrats on the Beretta M9A1, looks good!

Do you work in law enforcement or an armed security company? Reason I ask is because you mentioned the ammo you bought is for duty use.
Old March 30, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Evan-0-Matic

Spyderdude

Thanks...

And i work for 'Loomis' the armored transport company.
Old March 30, 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
p99guy

Evan, you picked a fine service pistol, Though I prefer the so called sand resistant factory magazines, which look like black chrome..nothing much sticks to them)
The M9A1 is a M9 with changes requested by the United States Marine Corps, its thier new pistol for some units.
When you get some spare cash, the crimson trace laser grip is worthwile, and it is used on M9's in Iraq and Afganistan(yes, they are issued to some units) I carry a M9 with a set of G.I. Crimson Trace grips and it has never failed me in any way. And once you get the laser sighted in....its quite deadly
inside buildings, under streetlight conditions, dust, dawn.

Another 9mm round you should consider is the Speer Gold Dot 124gr

Old March 30, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Evan-0-Matic

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Come to think of it...i'm not sure if my company allows the use of laser grips etc...hmm, i'll have to ask. Otherwise it would still be fun to have on the range or for SD.