The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2015, 01:41 PM   #1
nodule

Canik TP9SA... for a lefty?

I love the look and am intrigued by all the positive reviews of the Century Arms
Canik TP9SA 9mm pistol. However, I am a lefty shooter. I see the magazine release is reversible, but NOT the slide stop.

Can a lefty operate this pistol perfectly fine? Any lefties here that own the TP9SA here? I would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks
Old October 8, 2015, 02:09 PM   #2
MarkGlazer

I own the Canik stingray and am left-handed. I love the gun, shoots well, very easy to maintain and break down. Looking at the Canik web-site, the TP appears to have a smaller catch on the left side. The Stingrays' release is also on the left but is larger in size. I have no issues releasing the slide nor the magazine. Like any gun, just a matter of practice and getting used to placement of everything.

I noticed that they added a safety to the trigger, nice. I've just begun to get used to that feature on a Taurus G2.

Good luck.
Old October 8, 2015, 03:43 PM   #3
jmhyer

I'm a lefty and prefer semiautos with ambidextrous (or reversible) controls. Having said that, I do own a few that are not. The only time I ever use the slide catch/release is when I'm breaking the gun down for cleaning. In that case, as a lefty, I simply hold the gun in my right hand and operate the slide with my left. When actually operating in a live fire situation, I prefer to release the slide by the slingshot method.