The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2015, 07:35 PM   #26
DaleA

Looks a little like an LC9's ugly sister.

(Probably the 'R' on the grip got me in a Ruger frame of mind.
Old January 30, 2015, 01:33 PM   #27
larryf1952

I've finally found something that would make me prefer a Glock.
Old January 30, 2015, 02:46 PM   #28
Sevens

Quote:
It does nothing that existing guns don't already do.
Okay, if THAT is the argument...

Do you buy any guns at all? Ever?
Waiting for a phaser gun or the fart gun they used in Despicable Me?
Old February 1, 2015, 06:22 AM   #29
hemiram

Too ugly.

I don't get the appeal of this thing, original version or new one, it's just hideous. There's no need to make an ugly gun.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:13 AM   #30
Rattlehead

I'll pass.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:32 AM   #31
CajunBass

Quote:
Except for the rear sight being backwards I don't see that it's that much uglier than all the other plastic out there.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

But then I've seen a Colt 2000...so it's still not the ugliest.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 1, 2015, 09:56 AM   #32
KyJim

I was interested when it came out. Fortunately, I never saw one. IF the new iteration does what it is supposed to do, I might be interested. I would have to actually have one in hand and examine it first.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:57 AM   #33
SpareMag

One approach that would work for me is to offer an initial run at firesale prices... Say, the first 5,000 units. Then we can all sit back ten years from now and read the posts from folks claiming to have the prescience to pick up a pre-sale r51 and it is now worth 20x what they paid for it.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:12 AM   #34
ttarp

I handled one in a gunshop before they were recalled, and it was in poor condition. Pulling the slide back felt like you were grating cheese, or using a rasp. I hope they've fixed the issues, but I don't think I'll be getting one. I do think its in competition with the PPX and Hi Point for the ugly gun awards though.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:54 AM   #35
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Pulling the slide back felt like you were grating cheese, or using a rasp.
I hate when a gun makes that spring sound, vibrating both in my ears and on my arm. Makes it feel cheap. It is coupled with the slide racking. High pitch. Like nails on a chalk board to my ears and my hands. Thank goodness I never have had to do it often!
Old February 1, 2015, 11:49 AM   #36
Andy Blozinski

The backwards sight means you have an incredibly sturdy adjustable sight that will not drag when you are drawing through clothes. As pointed out, you could use it to rack the slide in a weird situation, like your other arm is out. The tapered nose makes it easier to holster and removes unnecessary weight. It looks like it has a good full handed grip. I'd say the cosmetics that people are complaining about are functional bonuses.
If they got the mechanicals fixed, the interesting action means it has less recoil. I'd say it could be a pretty good choice of firearm if they fixed it.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:51 AM   #37
jimbob86

The stuff Andy mentions si the reason I wanted one .... I'd still want one ....if they worked.
Old February 1, 2015, 01:46 PM   #38
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
The stuff Andy mentions si the reason I wanted one .... I'd still want one ....if they worked.
Me too. But, with the major issues that Remington (and Freedom Group as a whole) has had with quality control, I would want to see how it does over the next 3-5 years.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:09 PM   #39
Knightsofnee

Something tells me that the Para guys in Charlotte were not giving this gun the attention in manufacturing that it needed, what with knowing they were fixing to lose their jobs, or having to move to Alabama. Reminds me of the union guys who used to leave Coke bottles in the car doors in Detroit.
Old February 1, 2015, 04:21 PM   #40
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Me too. But, with the major issues that Remington (and Freedom Group as a whole) has had with quality control, I would want to see how it does over the next 3-5 years.
What issues other than the R51? They have had great success with the R1 1911 line and appear to be whipping Para into shape after purchasing it. I am not aware of any other big QC issues?

I know you can blame Para to it's first failure but the design was the main cause of the failures from what I can see. It is not surprising to me that a new pistol design had problems either. What would surprise me is if it doesn't get fixed properly. Time will tell but this is no reason to shy too far away Remington or Para for that matter.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; February 1, 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:17 AM   #41
Hunter0924

I heard the same thing at SHOT but I am a little gun shy of the R51.