The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 30, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Bomberman

Drilling/Tapping a Nickle Plated Revolver

First post here...I have a nickle plated S&W Model 29-2 (1979) that I want to put a scope on for hunting. (I know, I shouldn't do it but it's my gun and I want to.) Anyway, are there any gremlins waiting for me, (other than the usual working with steel ones) because it's plated...I've never drilled into a plated anything.

I have done the drill/tap thing before on a revolver and a rifle so I'm familiar with the process...just curious about the plating and any precautions I should take.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Old November 30, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

In order to prevent any chipping or flaking at the drill site, use a rounded point carbide cutter or pointed stone in a drill press to remove the plating down to bare steel at each drill point. The spots where the plating is removed should be about the same size as the drill to be used.
This will prevent the drill from catching and flaking off a larger spot of the plating.

Then use a center punch to mark the drill spots to start the drill properly.
Old December 1, 2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Bomberman

Dfariswheel,
Thanks for the response...that is what I was looking for and it makes perfect sense. I really appreciated it.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992