The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

Releasing agents for molds or help tips ???

Guys, I have a couple of moulds that smudging them with a match just aint enough. I am spending far too much time rapping on the mould to get the boolits to drop and this is getting hard on the handles too. They drop nice casts but should be able to fix this. Is lapping the answer and if so who has the trick for this or is there a better release coating to help . The ol lady sez she can tell when I am using these molds cuz it sounds like a ticked off woodpecker moved into the garage which irritates her enough to take the fun out of makin boolits for me if you know what I mean. Please help save me from an overdose of ESTROGEN ...

Thanks Guys,

10 SPOT
Old November 7, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
TXGunNut

What kind of moulds?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 7, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

Sorry, guess I should have said Lyman moulds . The match smudge thing worked fine on my Lee aluminums but the Lyman steel ones dont seem to do so well.
Old November 7, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4
GP100man

cast some bullets , keepin em seperated which from which cavity , drill 1/8 hole in em 1/4-3/8 " deep then screw in a 8x32 screw tap.

Hold the bullets with the mold if ya feel comfortable with the drillin `round it

After ya get it all together wet the cavity & sprinkle some comet powdered cleaner on it , enuff water & comet to make a slurry lay the bullet in the mold & close but enuff to start spinin the lapper.

The hi spots will become apparent real fast .

As ya get the slurry worked in & close the mold more check often to see that lead & comet is`nt holdin the blocks from mateing .

I use a makita cordless drill on slow speed & drill enuff bullets to have 5-6 / cavity.

Fine lappin compound is more aggresive but will round corners qwiker !!!

Go slow & methodical & all will work out fine !

When the cavity is shiney all over all te burrs are gone .

The cavity will reblue more & more after each use , just take care of it between sessions so it does`nt rust !!!!

As far as "smokin" a mold I use a butane liter , matches have wax in em & leave undesirable deposits , aso the graphite sprays deminish bullet dia !

Hope this helps even if a little
Old November 7, 2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Rusty W

Kroil. I kept reading great things about it over at www.castboolits.gunloads.com so I had to try it. It works, I purchased a couple cans from http://www.kanolabs.com/ and in about a week I had it in hand. I sprayed a couple molds that were hanging onto the bullets. I let it soak for a few hours and then began casting. The bullets dropped right out.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Been lucky so far. I clean them with brake cleaner and burn off the residue with a butane lighter. When I'm done I spray them down w/ WD-40 and wrap tightly.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:23 PM   #7
10 Spot Terminator

I just happen to have a lyman 22 cal mould I am soaking in kano kroil right now removing some rust because the prior owner did nothing to preserve it after they were done with it. I will give that a shot and if it doesnt pan out I will try the brake cleaner butane lighter trick. Thanks guys .

10 Spot
Old November 10, 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
crowbeaner

I use Midway Drop Out on recalcitrant moulds. Doesn't work for beans on aluminum ones though.