The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Dearhunter61

Brass - What impact does brass play?

I just started reloading this past December and as with most things the more I get into it the more I realize how much I do not know. That being the case I was wondering what brass plays into the accuracy I am getting with each of my guns?

I am using Remington, Winchester, and Hornady brass. Are these good? Are there any better? If I use the better brass I am assuming they cost more...is it worth paying more for them?

The only rifles I own and shoot are hunting rifles. I have managed to find loads for each where I can get 3 shot groups of less than an inch. I am wondering what all of you strive to achieve in accuracy when you reload for hunting rifles? If you find a load that will get you less than an inch do you continue to try to find a load that will get you a 1/2 inch group? I have been doing this a little and realized this weekend it is costing me quite a lot...did not realize I had went through so much powder and bullets...had to restock.

So I am also wondering when you all say enough is enough for your hunting rounds?

Thanks,
Old August 17, 2008, 09:06 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

for discussion only

IME it is not the brand; it is the uniformity.

Now that you've found a great load (under 1" IS great), fix it so it hits where you need it to on the first (hunting?) shot.
With a barrel in the same condition you'll use for hunting.

The first shot.... (hopefully the only one?).

Ay?
Old August 17, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
ojibweindian

Quote:
The only rifles I own and shoot are hunting rifles. I have managed to find loads for each where I can get 3 shot groups of less than an inch. I am wondering what all of you strive to achieve in accuracy when you reload for hunting rifles? If you find a load that will get you less than an inch do you continue to try to find a load that will get you a 1/2 inch group? I have been doing this a little and realized this weekend it is costing me quite a lot...did not realize I had went through so much powder and bullets...had to restock.

So I am also wondering when you all say enough is enough for your hunting rounds?
Any hunting load that is 1" or better at 100 yards is pretty darn good. Me? I'd play around with it a little bit with the overall length, just to see if I could squeeze another 1/4" to 1/2" out of it. But I'd not be disappointed with a load that gave me under an inch at 100 yards.
Old August 17, 2008, 11:24 AM   #4
jamaica

One inch groups at 100 yards suits me just fine for hunting needs. Of course closer is better, but I am not willing to go to the extra work to get better groups than that. I find I can get that kind of accuracy with mixed brass, so I don't worry about the brass as long as it is in good condition and the right length.

I don't know if I can expect to get better than that anyway with a straight 6 power scope on my hunting rifle. Getting a consistent sight picture is a limiting factor with out a high power target scope.

As long as they land where you want them to you are good to go IMO.

IOW as long as you can consistently hit a deer in the brain at up to 150 yards that is good enough. (No use spoiling meat, and brain shot deer never run away I like one shot kills. )

Last edited by jamaica; August 17, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Edit to change head to brain for clarity. IOW a shot to the jaw don't count.
Old August 17, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
amamnn

If you're loading for out of the box factory hunting rifles, there is most likely little if anything to be gained by buying premium brass such as Lapua or Nosler or Norma, except for longer useful life. Make the cases as uniform (weight, length, size) as you can with the equipment you have and your accuracy will be the best it can be with what you use.