The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 5, 2005, 01:15 AM   #1
rmagill

9mm Practice Ammo

I have recently been using Winchester 9mm 115gr. FMJ ammo for practice target shooting with a Glock 19. I have noticed that the shots are dropping by about 6 inches at approximately 15yds. While some of it might be operator error, I was not having similar problems with some other brands of ammo. I am curious if this is a relatively common problem with Winchester 9mm 115gr. FMJs and, in turn, what type of 9mm ammo you normally practice with. Thanks.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Zak Smith

Most likely operator error.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:30 PM   #3
pointfiveoh

I usually practice with the wwb 115 gr fmj's as well and I have no problems whatsoever. At typical hand gun ranges (~30 feet or less) those things are dead on accurate. Not like a hand loaded perfection but great for range rounds. We were shooting the staples out of our targets with them. I'd say practice some more.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:55 PM   #4
knowledge98

I practice with the Winchester 115gr FMJ I am new to guns and my shots were all about 6" low then I did a lil reading here and realized I was anticipating the boom instead of just pulling the trigger and letting it boom by itself...now I'm dead center
Old May 15, 2005, 05:00 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

The Winchester stuff shoots ok. Here's a group I shot with the Winchester USA 100 round bulk pack available at most Wal-Marts.

What you're describing sounds like classic flinching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EII WWB.jpg (43.9 KB, 2157 views)
Old May 15, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
9mmMike

I shoot White Box, Fiocchi, S&B, American Eagle/Federal all in 115 or 124 and have not seen that much difference at only 15 yards. Six inches is a whole lot of drop at that short distance.
Let a friend shoot the gun. See if it's the same. Maybe you knocked a sight loose or something?
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old May 15, 2005, 09:03 PM   #7
fed168

White box will hold a ten ring at 25 yards, provided the shooter does their part.
Old June 18, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8
itsmike762

What size were the groups? what bullet weight do you normally shoot? If the groups were good and you normally shoot a heavier bullet I would say its the ammo. If not then its operator error.
Old June 18, 2005, 01:14 AM   #9
jonathon

My 17 doesn't do as good with WWB as it does with UMC 115 gr FMJ, I can constantly hit the bullseye and get tight groups..
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old July 31, 2005, 11:23 AM   #10
Vitamin G

I alternate between Wal-mart (WWB) and Dick's (Remington), which ever is cheaper that month
Old July 31, 2005, 03:08 PM   #11
Dead

Not 9mm ammo, but I picked up a 100round box of Rem 180grain 40Auto Hollowpoint from Walmart, and damn this ammo sucks. I had 4 failure to fire (with good primer hits) from my glock... The Winchester White Box 45 100 round box goes bang everytime....
Old July 31, 2005, 06:21 PM   #12
DanV1317

gander mountain wanted 14.95$ for a box of 100 wwb 115 gr fmj today! i almost dropped a log. They used to be like 10$ last time i checked...
Old August 3, 2005, 11:00 PM   #13
Jeff22

trigger control on the Glock

Do you have a regular trigger spring or the New York trigger spring?

Lots of people shoot low with the Glock until they get used to that weird spongy trigger. There's lots of trigger slack and then suddenly the resistance increases until the striker is released. Until you get used to it, the tendency is to inadvertantly jerk the trigger when getting past that sudden increase in resistance. A NY trigger spring somewhat mitigates that problem.

Do lots of dry fire until your trigger finger becomes "educated", and the problem should correct itself.
Old August 5, 2005, 10:54 PM   #14
chris in va

Put a snap cap in the middle of the stack and see if you're flinching.
Old August 20, 2005, 05:53 PM   #15
NRAhab

What ^ said is a great idea.

I use Winchester White Box 115 gr FMJ myself. I shoot a lot of 9mm as my favorite gun is my Ruger PC9 carbine, and I've never had any problems. Occasionally I'll crank a box or two of Sellier & Belliot through there with no problems either.

One thing, the S&B absolutely screams out of the carbine.
Old August 25, 2005, 01:36 PM   #16
Avid Concealer

DEFINATELY user error. I shoot the exact same rounds usually at 50 - 100 yards with my walther p99! Of course it has adjustable sites and I have adjusted them for that, but it is still incredibly accurate up close. I don't know of any bullet that drops 6 inches. I guarantee you that it is entirely user error. I can go ahead and tell you the problem, and it is that you are anticipating the shot and flinching directly before you fire. LET THE SHOT SURPRISE YOU! I'm not yelling, just telling you that that is what you must do. Everyone I know does it when they first begin to shoot. I even did it and everyonce and a while find myself doing it when I shoot a new gun for the first time. You'll usually find that your first shot with a new gun will be your best shot (if you are a new shooter at least as being your first time at the range) because you don't know what to expect. Just keep that mentality everytime you shoot. Don't know what to expect and be surprised. I promise. It works, I have taught lots of people to shoot and that it was it takes. Good luck. Winchester is the most accurate and clean ammo that I have found to date. It is definately my favorite. ; )
Old August 25, 2005, 02:50 PM   #17
tinkanting

flinch???
Old August 29, 2005, 01:33 PM   #18
NRAhab

Flinching could also be called "anticipating the shot" and many other hundreds of things.

What it boils down to is that the muzzle flash and recoil is making you shy away from the shot, so right before each shot you flinch a little bit and oversqueeze the trigger, thus resulting in what my old teacher called "spanking the bejeebers out of it" and missing.
Old October 10, 2005, 02:48 PM   #19
StormTrooper

Well, I had a trailer to this thread, but doing so was my mistake.
I had picked up 300 rounds of Independence which is made by Federal and just marketed under a different label. 9mm 115 grn FMJ and for range ammo I was very pleased with the operation and effect. I paid $8.99 per 50cnt @ the Bullet Trap in Plano Texas, a decent shop with fair prices that I can tell.

Anyone else used this brand before?
Old December 6, 2005, 12:55 AM   #20
MarkV

I shoot Winchester White Box 115 gr FMJ as practice ammo in my SW99. I've probably put close to 2000 rounds threw it and havn't had a problems yet. Knock on wood. I pay $4.96/50 at Accademy. Cheapest I've found.