The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Big Yac

Reloading for my Wife

My wife , a friend of mine and his wife have all expressed interest in shooting. I figured I'd take them out to do alittle plinking but am not sure as to what load I should make up. I currently have only 2 handguns, a Ruger GP-100 6" and a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull 9". I know I should load up 45 Colts and 38 Specials but which would be better? Both being heavy handguns I would think either load would be fine if its light enough. I've only shot full house loads through each gun except I have loaded a box or two of 45 colts. I want everyones first time shooting to be enjoyable so with that, does anyone have a favorite soft shooting 38 SPL or 45 Colt load which would fit this situation? Thanks.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
hikingman

You post has me thinking of the throngs of wives/girlfriends that have lost interest in shooting after being handed a large caliber revolver.
Consider going with the .38 if it is a choice between the two. You make more (women) friends with that caliber.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Shoney

Do yourself and your ladies a big favor, buy, borrow or steal a .22 for them to learn on. Once they have mastered that, you will have worked out a soft load for them on the bigger weapons.

Also make sure you have good hearing protection. I have seen more women turned off to shooting by heavy recoil and noise.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 21, 2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Tim R

Quote:
Do yourself and your ladies a big favor, buy, borrow or steal a .22 for them to learn on. Once they have mastered that, you will have worked out a soft load for them on the bigger weapons.

Also make sure you have good hearing protection. I have seen more women turned off to shooting by heavy recoil and noise.

What he said.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:57 AM   #5
capreppy

+1 to a .22.

My softer shooting .45ACP loads makes my wife happy when she comes to the range with me. She initially shot commercial ammo (WWB or whatever we could find cheap) before I got into reloading. She usually only shot a clip or two and gave up. She is pretty accurate with commercial loads, but wasn't enjoyable for her.

With softer reloads, she'll hang an hour with me at the range and she's even more accurate (yes better than me).
Old March 21, 2011, 06:35 AM   #6
wwmkwood

I made the mistake of trying to make a soft shooting 38 for my wife to use with my S&W 66, squibs suck and clearing them takes away most of the wifes confidence in your loading skills. Invest in or borrow a soft recoil gun and work into the Magnums.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

I got my wife into shooting the .22 pistols and then we moved on to the .38 and the .45 Colt. I loaded some powder puff (power puff) loads for them and she really enjoys shooting them.

Her sisters are very anti-gun and it drives them nutz when they come down and my wife asks me for her "loads". Some of the .45 Colt loads were so light you could see the bullet leaving the barrel. She likes shooting with the kids (their mothers are not present ) when their dads bring them up.

Have fun and do not make it a competition. Ear protection is a must when-ever anyone shoots or just wants to watch.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Big Yac

I guess I never thought of it but this could just be the perfect excuse for a new gun. I have a rifle in 5mm magnum and see that Taurus is making a Tracker in 5mm magnum also, that or a 22 Tracker would be nice. I've just seen so many guys give their wives, gfs, significant others something they shouldnt and thats what I've been worried about, dont want to scare anyone before they've barely even tried it. Thanks.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
SL1

I think the best course of action in your particular situation is to buy some .38 Special wadcutter target loads and let the ladies use the GP-100. The loads will be pretty mild, the gun will be pretty light, and there will be no ammuniiton reliability issues.

When YOU have worked-out AND TESTED your own target/plinking loads for the .38/.357 cases and are SURE that they are both light and reliable, then they would be the best for the ladies to get used to.

I am not saying that they will not eventally want to shoot the hard-kicking loudenboomers, but NOBODY should START by shooting those, because, even if they persist, they will quickly develop bad techniques/habits that will diminish their shooting enjoyment for a long time to come.

SL1
Old March 21, 2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Champion5

Below is the load I make for my wife, works for my Ruger GP-100, may not for yours.
2.5g win231, missouri bullet DEWC.
It kicks like a nine and she loves it, she shot about 200 of them yesterday. I just started reloading for .38 special so take it for what its worth.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Saint Dennis

I load for my wife. 148gr dbbwc over trailboss. I use .357 brass because I can. She has arthritis. She shoots a 6" SW highway patrolman and shoots it well. Really likes that load. Very mild and accurate (both the wife and the load).
Old March 21, 2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Clifford L. Hughes

clifford L. Hughes

Dear Bigyac:

A .22 would be good for the women to start with; however, you don't have one so the next best thing is the .38 special. When I was shooting for the Marine Corps, I'm a master, for my center fire match I used a colt .45 modified to .38 special. Because quick sight acquiuqisiton in rapid fire is vital I used 2.7 grains of bullseye powder under a 148 grain full wadcutter bullet, recoil was just enough to function the action. You could use this load over a 150 gr round nose or semi wad cutter bullets. The Ruger Red Hawk is most likely too heave for a begginer.

Semper Fi.

Cliffrord L. Hughes
Gunnery Sergeant
USMC Retired
Old March 22, 2011, 11:38 AM   #13
ArizonaRick

In 38 Spl - consider 125gr cast

My wife shoots her 4" modle 10 and 2" subby several times a month. I load her us 38 spl using MBC 125 gr cast (RNFP) with 4.9 grs of Unique, standard small pistol primer (Wolf). It is accurate in both guns with mild recoil. She does as well with mid-range 38's as she does with the the 22 (also a great tool). Also, good quality grips that fit her hand, make a big difference.