The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 25, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
RAnb

Nagant revolver silencer

I recently bought an 1895 Nagant revolver. The brass seals the cylinder/barrel gap effectively so a form 1 silencer is the next logical accessary to add. I was considering making a wipe type silencer like the original bramit device, but I think that replacing wipes every dozen rounds is a pain in the butt.

I can not use a silencer diameter more than an inch to keep from covering the sights. So I am going to make a 1x4.5 inch can to keep muzzle blast down to a dull roar, and an extension that is 1.5x3.5 inches to further reduce the noise.

It wil be all aluminum except for the read end cap and blast baffle. Any suggestions?

I cut back the front sight and turned down the barrel for 1/2-28 threads. The revolver is shown with my 22lr silencer attached.

Ranb
Old July 25, 2008, 03:41 PM   #2
PTK

I don't think the silencer needs to be that large. My 9mm Cobra silencer makes a Nagant sound like a toy already, and with a tighter 30cal bore on a F1 silencer, you can probably get away with JUST a 1 (or 1.25) by 6" long and have it as quiet as it'll be. x38R just doesn't have all that much gas to capture.
Old July 25, 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
RAnb

You may be right. I wanted to be able to shoot with a compact silencer, and then have the option for the "Hollywood" quiet can by adding the extension.

I was not able to get the perfect thread job with the small amount of metal available on the muzzle even after trimming back the front sight. It is not as nice as the thread job on my 9mm HP so I think the can will not align as well as it could. I may have to use a generous bore to prevent baffle strikes.

Ranb
Old August 19, 2008, 08:38 AM   #4
djturnz

Wouldn't you need another stamp for the "extension" since it is also another suppressor?
Old August 19, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5
VUPDblue

Technically, yes because it could be argued that the 'extention', while being threaded itself, could be used on another firearm by itself.