The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Crazy4nitro

Powder Question

I Loaded a few rounds of .41 Mag last night using some 2400. I noticed that it seemed that the powder was seemingly being compressed as the bullet was about to be crimped. Is this OK? I have 19grs of 2400 under 215gr LSWC,but I have no issue pulling these rounds apart if thats not acceptable. Thank you in advance.

Crazy4nitro
Old January 24, 2007, 09:59 AM   #2
DanV1317

There are some loads that they refer to as compressed loads. be aware that if they are compressed, that will be the max amount of powder you can put in. If you needed to bump the grains you shouldnt anymore.

Make sure you're checking into a manual first to see if they refer to that load as a compressed load (for varification purposes). If they dont refer to it as compressed, you probably have a problem.

Dan
Old January 24, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
JoeHatley

If you take a look at the www.alliantpowder.com site, I think you may be quite a bit over maximum.

I'd be carefull...

Joe
Old January 24, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Given that it's a lead bullet, he may not be over charge at all. All of the Alliant loading data is for jacketed bullets in .41 Mag.

What manual are you using?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2007, 07:51 PM   #5
hpg

Your reloading manual should list the load as being a compressed charge if it is supposed to be.............hpg
Old January 24, 2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Crazy4nitro

I'm Using the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 5th edition. I stated 215 gr Bullets but I weighed each bullet in the Box I have. The Bullets ranged from 210.8 to 218.5grs. I then Divided the Box into 3 batches #1 above 215 #2 under 215 but above 212 #3 212 and below....

I used the Batch #3 and went with the info published for 212gr Bullets which was 20.0gr Max load,and Backed off a Grain.

I hope this helps.
Another thing which Probably makes No difference but my Pistol is a Taurus Tracker 4 1/2" bbl in .41 Mag of course.

Crazy4nitro
Old January 25, 2007, 10:00 AM   #7
LAH

Nothing wrong with compressed loads. I've used plenty of them. Just be sure you're within the listed charge weights in the manual you're using...Creeker
Old February 17, 2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Crazy4nitro

So to continue with powder questions...Does anyone have an opinion as to if Blue-dot powder is to "Slow" for a .38/.357. I shot a Batch of .38 Spcl 125 JSP loaded to roughly the same fps (and pressure) using Bullseye and then Blue-dot. The Bullseye seemed like it had a lot more power(snap) then the Blue-dot which had less felt recoil (and sound) like maybe all the powder wasnt burned before the round left the Barrel. Would anyone like to comment on this?......
I found a thread on this site talking about Blue-dot in various size cases and it was the typical divided opinion kind like "Yes it's great/No it's horrible" and each person seemed to have a strong opinion with good reasons to back-up how they felt. Basically it seems that what I'm starting to see is "Load development" and each person/gun is different and I am just gonna have to find something that I like. LOL sorry,I guess I just started rambling in this post. Has anyone ever gone insane chasing the "perfect" load in reloading. What have I gotten myself into.

Thank you in advance for any responses/opinions.

Crazy4nitro

S&W Mod 10 4"

Last edited by Crazy4nitro; February 17, 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: additional info