The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

A find with .45-70 Gov't Brass

Ok I am new to loading for .45-70 Govt. Not to reloading. I bought some Remington brass on Sat., a family friend saved some brass from shooting a gun he wanted to try. He gave it to me for free. I have no doubt that it is once fired. Heck he still had the boxes it came in, with the recipts.

Ok they were two different brands. One was Hornady I already know from reading here that it is shorter so I have that to the side, so I know to readjust my dies before expanding, and seating/crimping. The other was Buffalo Bore. Head stamp says Lever Gun .45-70 Gov't Magnum.

Well the Buffalo Bore stuff uses Small primers. So if you manage to get some of it, and reload on a turret, or progressive you may want to put it to the side, it will need small primers. It is a lot thicker than the Hornady, and R-P brass. Though length of it is spot on with the new Remington brass.

I am not planing on any magnum loads even though I know my Marlin will handle them, I will leave that for people that are on safari.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The small primers, also used by Garrett Ammunition, are to reduce the possibility of one being set off by the edge of the flat on the bullet beneath it in the tubular magazine stack. It won't hurt to use it, but do adjust your loads down for th extra thickness if you want to keep the pressure constant.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Uncle Nick I charge them with the same amount of Trail Boss as the others. They shot, and felt the same. If I had mixed them all up in a bucket, and shook it to mix them well I would not have been able to tell what the head stamp of any said. Though if I were loading the ICBM loads I would start low, and work up. I will leave the hot loads to recoil junkies, people that do not know any better, those who want to make a show with the big loud kablewwiee report, and those on safari shooting cape buffalo.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

hate that Hornady went with the short cases... I won't use them...

I load for 3 different rifles, & a 14" Contender... haven't run across the small primers on any cases yet, but thanks for the heads up... I ( so far ) only load on one of 3 different single stage presses, & always sort my cases by brand ( err... well except my CAS stuff, since I can't seem to get all my own cases back when I go to events )...my Contender gets Contender only loads, my Martini & double rifle get factory equivilent loads, & my guide gun, gets those "loudenboomen safari loads"

I use Trailboss on alot of my CAS stuff... I haven't ( so far ) gotten particularly good accuracy on cases like 40-65 in my single shot... I haven't tried it in the 45-70... hows your accuracy been with it in 45-70, is it worth me trying ???
Old December 11, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Well accuracy was great at 25 yards. While shooting off a front sand bag 10 shots in a 4 inch square target, most so close they touched together.

Off of the lead sled there was a single 3/4 inch hole for 5 shots in the dead center bull's eye. I was unable to recover the target for pictures. People were still shooting, and my wife was ready to go home.

My load is 15.5 to 15.8 grains with a 350 grain LFP bevel base laser cast sized at .459. Loads were sub sonic as far as I could tell there were no sonic booms from the bullet breaking the sound barrier that I could tell. Guesstimated at about 1050 FPS or so give or take a small bit.

Oh and Hornady went with the shorter brass for the Evolution ammo. They had to for it to cycle in lever actions. Acording to the manual from Marlin the Evolution ammo COL is 2.60, die to the rubber tip they will feed in most lever guns. Though anything else can not be over 2.55 and still cycle.