The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 30, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Todd Shoup

savage 116 accutriger

I have a accutriger on my savage 116 in 338 win mag. I have the trigger set at the lightest setting and it is still to strong. Can you purchase aftermarket springs to lighten up the pull more.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
ligonierbill

I have the same rifle. If your trigger is too tight at the lightest setting, there is something wrong with it. If you are sure you adjusted correctly, take it back for a look.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Creeper

Trigger pull weight is a relative thing. If you're use to a 3/4 oz. trigger in a benchrest rifle... a 2 lb. trigger can seem a bit on the heavy side. Not wrong mind you, just heavy.

I do not disagree with ligonierbill however... you may have a mechanical problem you should not have. Do you have a trigger pull gauge Todd? Might want to consider getting one if not. You'd be the coolest kid on the block... really.

Off the top of my head, Rifle Basix makes a direct replacement, 4.0 oz to 3.0 lb range, trigger assembly for the 116. I think they run about $150, give or take.

Cheers,
C
Old July 30, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
olddav

Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger is what you want.
I have one on my 110 set at 14oz, very nice!
Old July 30, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
math teacher

I put a Rifle-Basix on my 338 in a Savage 110. Love it. I prefer a trigger around 2 1/2lbs for hunting. Too light can be dangerous when the adrenalin gets flowing.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:15 PM   #6
jmr40

Where is the trigger breaking. On a hunting rifle 3-4 lbs is perfectly acceptable. Much under 2.5 starts to be dangerous and any gun with a trigger under 2 lbs should only be used at the range and shot off a bench. Too many things to go wrong in the hunting fields with somthing that light. I'd rather have a crisp consistent 4 lb trigger that breaks at exactly 4 lbs every time than a mushy 2 lb trigger that sometimes breaks at 1.75 lbs and at 2.25 lbs another time. If you can shoot, you can shoot a gun with a 3-4 lb trigger. All of mine are adjusted as close to 3 as possible. I have no trouble placing my shots into 1/2" groups. Even with 5 lb Kimbers.

I'd take it somewhere that has a trigger pull scale and find out where you are before proceeding. You may just need some trigger time to get used to what you have. I'm a firm believer in dry fire practice. I'm betting that after a few thousand dry fires the trigger will be just fine.

The crispness and consistency are far more important than the actual weight.
Old July 30, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
GeauxTide

My 16 in 260 has a 2.5# Pull from the factory. As others mentioned, have your dealer or smith look at it.