The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 9, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1
king2756

Need mag change advice

Hi, everyone,

I shot in my second USPSA match yesterday and had a great time. I need some advice on mag changes, though. I shoot a Springfield XDM 9mm and my thumb cannot reach the mag release with my normal grip. What I did yesterday was to rotate my strong hand to where my thumb can hit the mag release but this felt clunky and I felt the need to use my weak hand to assist so I wouldn't take a chance on dropping the gun. Today I was practicing and had the idea of using the middle finger of my strong hand to hit the ambi mag release on the other side of the gun. It felt pretty fast today in my apartment but I want to see what other folks do about this. Thanks!

Will
Old May 9, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Jim Watson

A small shift of the gun in the hand to reach the magazine catch is normal but a big one can be hazardous. One of these days you will rotate the gun past the 180 to get at that magazine catch and get a big DQ.

Using the off hand to depress the magazine catch is slow.

It is quite feasible to trip the off side button with your forefinger or middle finger, lefthanded shooters do it on non-ambi magazine catches all the time. But practice it dryfire so you don't drop the gun that way.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
g.willikers

Using the right side release is very quick, and with some practice, it works great.
I installed an ambi mag release, that's also extended slightly on the left side, from Cylinder and Slide on my 1911, and have the choice of either right or left release, like yours.
You're lucky that your gun came that way.
Lots of guns have the option of switching the mag release either left or right.
But having both is even better.
See if someone makes an extended version for yours and then you can use either one, comfortably.