The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
kuch0778

Ithaca Model 37

I'm looking for an Ithaca 37 to do some dove hunting. I am looking to spend around $300, which seems pretty reasonable. I found one at a store for $299, but its kinda rough. It also has some kind of compensator on it, according to the store. They really didn't seem to know what they were talking about.

I haven't seen the gun in person, but i should be able to next weekend.

I was wondering if anyone knows what this is? can it be removed?

Thanks,
Nate Kucharo
Old October 8, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
oneounceload

It could either be a Cutts compensator or a polychoke - used to be able to give you a variety of choke selections on a previously fixed choke gun. The grand daddy of the screw-in chokes of today
Old October 8, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Oilburner350

That looks like a Cutts to me. I don't like them, some people do. They add weight out at the end of the barrel. In my region the price is high. I paid $325 for a 37R 16 ga last summer.
Old October 8, 2009, 02:50 PM   #4
HiBC

In the words of Arlo Guthrie "I don't want a pickle"

But,you can like them.It is an opportunity to vary chokes.If you take it off ,you will have cylinder bore,no choke.Not always bad,but not real versatile.

For me,on an older pump,I'd try to find a modified.I stay away from full.
I do that because shotshells have changedA Fiocchi Golden Pheasant through a mod bbl will do all an old time paper hull no shot cup shell would ever do.

And,for closer,smaller birds,use cheap shells with soft shot,your pattern will be looser.
I like the 37,good luck
Old October 8, 2009, 05:14 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

The model 37 is one of the fastest swing pumps around, they didn't call it feather weight for no reason. One of the lightest pumps around. There is a big following for them, cutts or no cutts. In 16 gauge you can carry it ALL day and not get tired. The 12 is lighter than most of the other offerings out there. Look up on Ithaca's web site they are being made again it's not a cheap gun. The stock on the one pictured is a delux model as it is checkered and has a grip cap. Redone will make a nice addition to any collection.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
rbs

Ithaca Deer Slayer Police Special

I have an Ithaca DSPS Model 87 which is the same as the 37 but after the Ithaca bankruptcy.

Old October 8, 2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Crosshair

Is it a Pre-73 model? Those disconnectorless guns are FUN.

/Owns 3 Ithaca 37s
Old October 8, 2009, 09:00 PM   #8
jrothWA

Here's some good info on M37's...

First, the serial number must be greater than 855,000. (post 1963 era)
This allow the existing firearm to used existing barrels, on the use market.

If less than 855,000, (pre-1963) the barrel on it, now,
MUST have the same SN on it.
(Located about the 5-o'clock position).
If not the same, then the headspace must be checked as these early M37's had the barrel specifically mated. (Not readily interchangeable)
DO NOT FIRE, until cleared by a capable smith.
Barrels on the used market have a different thread that needs to be modified to mate with the OLD frames.

The barrel end item appears to be a "Cutts Compensator" regularly used and installed during the 50's - late 60's.
That's why the above is posted.

Last edited by jrothWA; October 11, 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wrong year 1963, not 1986 (third line down)
Old October 13, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9
williamd

Cutts compensator. Have on one my old M37 along with F, M and Scatter tubes. Brownell's sells the screw in tubes. Not much to look at but I don't worry about getting it banged up!
Old October 15, 2009, 04:37 PM   #10
xraydave1

Military M37

The Mod 37 is super. Carried one in Vietnam. With the bottom eject and no opening on the side as with all others, nothing will get into the action. In addition, as a LEFTY, it is super as no cases will distract you. Mine is a DS Police Special and would not trade it for an 870.