The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 11, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
shamus005

shooting high: what does it mean?

I took my lady out shooting. Weapon of choice: CZ-75B. She was hitting consistently high (12 O'clock) from the target's center. I know if you shoot low, it's from jerking the trigger and anticipating recoil, but this situation is the exact opposite: her shots were high, not low. IThe shooter's wheel "wheel of misfortune" http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm says she is breaking her wrist up. What does that mean? What is her shooting problem and how do we fix it?

On a side note she's dead nuts accurate with a shotgun.
Old April 11, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2
SW_fan

It may just be her sight picture. If she is shooting tight groups, but just off center, she probably has decent form, but she may just be aiming incorrectly. Most handguns put the round just above where the front sight is aimed.
Old April 11, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Archie

Groups...

Are her shots all falling into a roughly circular and evenly spaced group?

Or, are her shots in an elongated pattern, 'stringing' out to the top?

If she's shooting round and uniform groups, the sights are high for her. Her hands on the gun absorb recoil differently than yours do (or anyone else, for that matter) and the way her eyes see things make the shots group high.

If she's stringing, then she's allowing the gun to recoil too freely. Her hand and wrist needs more strength and firmness.

Does that make sense?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 11, 2006, 04:07 PM   #4
mete

Recoil is always there .You have to deal with it some way.The gun may move in the hand [bad way ], the wrist may bend,the elbow may bend. For me for a 9/40/45 my elbow is locked and recoil is soaked up by some wrist movement. For a 44 mag my elbow is bent and bends more as it absorbs the recoil like a shock absorber.Each person must find the best way for himself. Movement of the gun in the hand is bad because a handgun is very sensitive to how it is held and if it moves in the hand each shot will have a different point of impact.
Old April 11, 2006, 04:07 PM   #5
mete

Sorry, double tapped !
Old April 11, 2006, 04:27 PM   #6
GoSlash27

Generally a high impact with a proper sight picture is the result of holding the pistol too low on the grip.
Old April 12, 2006, 05:27 PM   #7
PPCLI 2 can.

shooting high = consuption of said illegal substance ie. marajuana then attempting to perform said act ie. shooting
Old April 17, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8
shamus005

Thanks for the responses. I did notice her grip was too low, and her two hand hold was a loose. Bascially, we need a firmer and higher grip.