The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
MSD Mike

Scope removal

Ok, I hope this isn't to Dumb a question. I recently bought a rifle at a pawn shop that had a bad scope on it. I decided to Change the scope and when I went to remove it the rings are one piece with a single slot in the ring. How do you remove the ring from the scope? I'm sure I am missing something obvious so take it easy on me. All the scopes I have installed in the past have had two piece rings and they were pretty obvious.

Thanks
Mike
Old September 24, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Creeper

Sounds like you might have "Conetrol" rings. See here for other images and assembly/disassembly.

I've also seen and "disassembled" some old, 1-piece scope rings on scopes where you actually remove the objective and ocular bells and slide the rings off the ends. I can't recall the brand of scope, but as you can imagine, they weren't nitrogen or otherwise inert gas purged.
C
Old September 24, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Creeper

Ooop... just remembered what scope that required removal of the bells to get the 1-piece rings off of. It was a Unertl Hawk.

Cheers,
C
Old September 25, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
MSD Mike

I can’t see any way to remove the rings without taking the scope apart. I don’t like having to do that so I am going to toss them out with the bad scope and just get new mounts. I was hoping I was missing something obvious but that isn’t the case.

Thanks

Mike
Old September 25, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Creeper

Before you toss it all in the bin, I'd love to see a photo or two of what you're about to throw away. It's always educational to see something interesting and unusual. Heck... I might even want to buy the stuff off you.

At least see if you can sort out the brand of scope and model so I might have something to look up on the interweb.

Cheers,
C