The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old March 12, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
liliysdad

Claire Wolfe leaving?

I heard grumblings that Wolfe was ending her relationship with SWAt? If so, I cannot say I am terribly sad. I wholly support having a different viewpoint in the mag, and a few of her articles I enjoyed. The bulk of her writings, however, left a lot to be desired.
liliysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

lillysdad-
Enemy at the Gate is a key ingredient to the SWAT recipe. It's goal is to remind citizens that lip service to the Second Amendment, absent clear understanding of the history and equal importance of the rest of the Bill of Rights, is as ignorant as a man heading for the snowy wilderness, claiming the most important survival tool is his "trusty rifle". Enemy at the Gate also serves as a stark reminder to you and all our LEO Brothers of the reasons you don a uniform and badge every day.

You don't agree with everything Claire says? Join the club. She's hardly looking for a fan club. But you have to agree: she does make you think!
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

"... she does make you think!"

That is so true! And, it has been true month after month. Her essay on the writ of habeas corpus in the latest issue is a perfect example for me.

For my entire life, I thought the writ of habeas corpus had to do with the necessity of producing the body of the victim in order to be able to prosecute a defendant for murder. Not that it matters a whole lot to me since IANAL, but it is good to finally have the correct definition in mind. Of course, my incorrect understanding of the term is what I get for obtaining my legal degree from the Ellery Queen School of Law.

(BTW, I was so sure I was right that I had to look it up in Black's before I could continue the article. )
Mal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

Rich,

I subscribed as soon as I found out Claire would be a regular in SWAT- I'd been thinking for a long time that I really needed to write the check, but that news was the tipping point for me. I for one really appreciate her work, as I have for years. I must say that I don't necessarily agree with her on every point she raises, but she has always been thought provoking.

Y'all keep up the good work,

lpl/nc
Lee Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Jon N.

I personally love her articles and hope she keeps writing for SWAT for long, long time. She really makes folks think outside the box. JMHO.
Jon N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Nora12

Claire Wolfe leaving?

We can only hope.
Nora12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Jeff Randall

I, for one, hope that Claire stays on. In the beginning I had privately mentioned that Claire would be polarizing and suggested that it might not be a good idea to have such an individual writing for the magazine. Since then I have seen S.W.A.T. evolve into something that I didn't think possible, at first. Do I agree with Claire? Not on a lot of things, but one thing I will say is she does preach my religion: Individualism, although she's a little shy of an ordained minister in Objectivism, IMO.
Old March 24, 2007, 09:56 AM   #8
buzz_knox

I certainly hope that's not the case. I wasn't sure of how I felt about her opinions when I began reading her columns but, over time, I've come to agree with her more and more, at least on her logick if not her conclusions. And many of those conclusions are closer to what this country was meant to be, rather that what it is.
buzz_knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Timeframe

If she does leave,I'll have $5.00 more a month to spend on more ammo.
Timeframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Long Path

I'm a cop, and Claire Wolfe takes a lot of shots at what cops do. Sometimes, she takes shots at what I specifically may do.

I love it.

She's well-spoken in her writing. She researches her viewpoints. She brings to light the unintended consequences of many types of law enforcement.

Claire Wolfe is a big example of how S.W.A.T. is a magazine for everyone, not just cops and "operators."

Good lord, you ought to see the freaking assumptions in many police rags that I sometimes read. Pick up an American Police Beat sometime. Besides the writing being quite poor, it's highly canted against the citizen, and is all about the cops' point of view, no matter what. Damned citizens. Don't they understand that we're keeping them safe?

Rich knew what he was doing when he kept Denny as the chief editor. Rich also knew what he was doing when he retained a libertarian collumnist like Claire Wolfe.
Old April 2, 2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

If nothing else, having a column by Claire every month proves that SWAT has stones.

Any ol' group of people can sit in a circle and have a big agreeing party.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I remember when Rich first acquired SWAT and there was talk of Claire Wolfe coming aboard. I didn't really think he'd get her, to tell you the truth. But he did, and her column is one of the first things I read every month. I like the way she and Denny handle the things they disagree about, like the asset forfeiture issue.
Old April 7, 2007, 03:59 AM   #13
SAG0282

Claire is one of the best parts of SWAT by far......I would definitely be upset if she left.
SAG0282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2007, 09:57 AM   #14
OBIWAN

Who was it that said "if everyone is thinking the same thing then most of them are not thinking at all"

Claire pushes some people outside their comfort zone...but that is a good thing

She certainly does make some people think....and others simply react
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Stagger Lee

Maybe someone at SWAT finally read my letter where I told them that I'd resubscribe when they got rid of her.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2007, 12:17 PM   #16
buzz_knox

Quote:
Good lord, you ought to see the freaking assumptions in many police rags that I sometimes read. Pick up an American Police Beat sometime. Besides the writing being quite poor, it's highly canted against the citizen, and is all about the cops' point of view, no matter what.
There's a fairly new magazine out dedicated to law enforcement. By cops and for cops is sort of the theme. In one of the first issues, an article from the editor discussing those who run from police should expect to get an "attitude adjustment" once in custody. After all, accidents happen when you run, right?
Old April 9, 2007, 05:02 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

I think Claire's latest article commenting on the NFA was great. I particularly thought the point about how the current GOP speaks the gun talk but continues to rigourously enforce the current laws which are antithetical to the RKBA is well taken. It is something that folks should realize when they vociferously defend GWB.

The magazine is excellent but Claire's loss, if it happens, will be truly felt. There is an unpleasant authoritarian trend in some gun advocates. They are as controlling as any on many issues. Just because they like guns isn't that important in the grand scheme of liberty. That they see the 2nd as defending liberty isn't really true as they don't like many liberties. Thus, for a gun magazine to have a columnist who makes this point is just as important as an article on 9mm vs. 45 ACP.
Old April 20, 2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Matt19

I hope she doesn't leave. I don't always agree with what she says, but I do think hard about what she does have to say. She has a lot of good points. That type of debate that she brings is very healthy for a Republic.
Old April 28, 2007, 04:31 PM   #19
Eghad

Dissent is an essential ingredient of a free society.

just for you Jeff

xoxo

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; April 29, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007, 04:43 AM   #20
Jeff Randall

Yeah, but we don't live in a democracy
Old May 6, 2007, 09:09 PM   #21
Sidney Wu

Keeps the gate open

The thinking one.
Sidney Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 09:46 PM   #22
BreacherUp!

Don't let the door hit you in the a*s, Claire.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:09 AM   #23
Eghad

Quote:
Don't let the door hit you in the a*s, Claire.
So then you probably wouldnt mind living in a police state?

NRA Life Member
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 10:58 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

If I get to keep my guns and be part of the home grown militia to supplement the police state, then the police state is just fine.

The split between the authoritarian social conservative (but with a gun) vs. the libertarian or liberal (with a gun) is becoming so perfectly clear in the TFL arguments.

The first group is actually antithetical to the RKBA as their possession of firearms as nothing to do with the actual theoretical or philosophical reason for the 2nd Amend.

Claire is a shining beacon of sanity against those who would be happy to live in an authoritarian state (as long as it authoritarian nature matched theirs and they get to go the range).
Old May 9, 2007, 12:14 PM   #25
buzz_knox

One of the best reasons for Ms. Wolfe being in SWAT (and one of the reasons so many hate her) is simply that she reminds us that while most abrogations of liberty are currently directed towards "the enemy," we are considered, or most likely will be considered, the enemy at some point in time.