The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
milky7272

Refinishing a sheridan blue streak

I have a Sheridan blue streak rifle I have just had rebuilt. Does any one know how or what to use, to refinish the metal? The metal is brass and want take regular bluing and I am afraid to powder coat it because the barrel and tank are soldered together. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old July 29, 2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

How was it originally finished?
You can blacken brass with commonly available "cold bluing." It won't last any better than it does on steel, though.
One of the gun paints like Ceramacoat or Duracoat might be a good possibility.
You can even have it nickel plated.
Old July 29, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

And you could even have it black nickel plated, if you don't like shiny white metal?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 29, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Slopemeno

The "old process" which gave a gloss black color is no longer done by Benjamin/Sheridan/Crossman/whoever was acquired this week. They stopped doing that process back in the mid 80's, IIRC.

The "new process" only results in the matte black finish seen on modern Benjamin/Sheridans.

Tim MacMurray from MacMurray and Sons can probably hook you up with the closest possible finish. Google "Mac1" I think...

Most of the "Gnome-Kotes" use heat, and as Sheridans are soft-soldered together, I'd be hesitant to try, or at least try on a wreck first.

If you had the gun stripped down to individual components any refinishing process that's compatable with the brass construction and solf solder construction could work. Their stain nickeled guns looked pretty nice.

I had a few paintball guns powder-coated back when I was airsmithing in the 90's, but they were billet aluminum. TOUGH thick finish. I did a WGP Sniper in John-Deere green just for giggles...