The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
BeMan

range results-1886 Winchester (relined)

A couple of months ago, I asked folks on this forum for help in regards to my 1886 Win in 40/82. I couldn't get it to group with any load, as the bore was too cruddy. A reccomendation of John Taylor was offered, and after a phone call to Mr Taylor, I sent the barreled receiver to him. Got the rifle back in 3 weeks, rebored and lined to 45/70. The work was flawless.

I finally got to take it to the range a few days ago. I had only the Remington 405 gr (for all type rifles) smokless loads. At 50 yds and shooting off hand, I had a respectable 3 inch group. I am currently reviewing other cartridge brands and I am having some smokeless loads custom loaded to see how much improvement I will see. The 3 inch group may not seem so great, but considering my eyesight-and hard to see front blade, it is promising.

I plan on putting some Hi-Viz sight paint on the front blade, use reading glasses, and putting the rifle on bags and rest next time.

So thanks for the suggestion of John Taylor. His work is very good and his turn around time is fast. I called 2 other gunsmiths that do this work and the turn around time was "6 months". I even called the barrel liner manufacturer in KY, and he reccomended John above the others. I thought John's prices were very reasonable. If anyone needs this sort of work, please check out John Taylor of Taylor Machine.
Old September 25, 2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Hawg

Cool.