The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 14, 2009, 05:17 PM   #1
FrontSight

Number of pellets at 50 yards for Turkey?

Hi,

I'm only getting about 2-5 pellets in the head & spine at 50 yards, using xxx full comp-n-choke, beretta xtrema 2, federal 3 1/2 #6 Turkey loads.

I'm getting about 15 -20 at 40 yards.

Anyone think I should be doing much better than this, or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks!
Old April 14, 2009, 05:32 PM   #2
sparkysteve

That's pretty good. I think it's hard to find a combo of gun, choke, and ammo to get good results at 50 yards. At least I heaven't found it yet. I get about 30 hits at 30 yards and about 20 at 40 shooting 3", #6 copper plated lead, max dram, 12 ga. Winchester Supremes.

#4's or #5's might hold a little tighter at longer distances. I hunt with a 6 in the chamber and 4's in the magazine for backup. I've also heard some guys get a tighter pattern shooting 3" shells, even with a 3-1/2" gun.

Check the turkey section at huntingnet.com. They might have some more advice.

Dont tread on me.
Old April 14, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3
ss13

Call them into 40 yards and you wont have a problem. With only 2-5 pellets your looking at a wounded bird. Do the ethical thing and dont take 50 yard shots.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:42 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...only getting about 2-5 pellets in the head & spine..." All it takes is one, but 50 yards is too far away.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Swampghost

Go to #4 and call them in closer. I don't shoot past 30 yds. Most shots are at about 50 ft.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am with Swamp on this too! I wouldn't go for a 50 yard shot with 00 on a deer. I use my ingrained known reference of a hundred foot extension cord...
Stretch one out and you are lookin' at my real limit of 33 yards or so...
Brent
Old April 15, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
FrontSight

My cousin is telling me he is getting 5 pellets at 60 yards with his Browning Turkey Special and Remington 3 inch number 5's!

I may just borrow his this May....

Last edited by FrontSight; April 15, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old April 15, 2009, 01:25 PM   #8
bwheasler

Different loads

Just like slugs, some shotguns like some brands more than others. Buy a few boxs and try them out. What kind of sight are you using? Are you sure you are centering your shot. With a bead being sure your dead center @ 50yds is tough. Try a low power scope 2x or so, or maybe a red-dot might be the ticket. I use a Remington duplex load that has 2 different size shot in the same shell. It will take them close and afar. Check local game laws first, some states don't allow it.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:08 PM   #9
FrontSight

Hi bwheasler,

I'm using an Eotech 522, nice tiny little 1 moa dot and a 65 moa circle. So great, I am even thinking of using it for wing shooting...

Before that, I tried a fiber optic bead, and that was horrible; covered the whole turkey target at 50 yards..
Old April 15, 2009, 04:36 PM   #10
ss13

If you shoot at birds over 40 yards you will eventually wound one. Why not do the ethical thing and wait until they are closer. Its hunting, not shooting.:barf: At 50 and 60 yards #6's dont have enough energy to guarantee a kill especially with only 5 hits. The minimum amount of pellets reccomended is 9.
Old April 22, 2009, 02:52 PM   #11
azar92

I'm new to turkey hunting, but from everything I've learned so far I'd have to agree that 50 yards is a long shot. One web page I found very informative was this one:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/turkey_loads.htm

Keep in mind that this is how these particular loads patterned in his shotgun / choke combo and you may get different results. In my opinion, it does give a good framework to choose appropriate loads to test in your own gun.

Notice the three "50 yard performers" that managed to meet his criteria; all #5 shot loads. The #4 loads didn't pattern well enough (by his criteria) and the #6 loads don't retain enough energy at that distance.

But to keep things simple, draw them in to 40 yards before taking the shot. Most loads designed for turkey hunting will do the job assuming your gun shoots them well enough.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Scorch

If it were me, I would try a few different loads to see what patterns best out of that shotgun, instead of trying to get a specific load to work.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:22 PM   #13
skydiver3346

Long range turkey shots:

Wow, 50 yards is getting out there my man. I usually try to call them in to at least 40 yards (preferably closer if possilbe). I only shoot #4's and 5's. Never anything smaller as they don't have the knockdown at longer ranges as the heavier shot does, (more pellets but less knockdown).
Old April 22, 2009, 10:29 PM   #14
bigthrills

was watching winchester turkey revolution on versus and winchester makes a long range turkey shot shell u shuld look into that ive never turkey hunted yet the va season has some hectic rules early in the season