The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
PAHOGHUNTER

Anschutz 22 Hornet

I recently picked up a model 1430-1434, I was about to start loading for it and it occurred me are .224 bullets ok?
Old December 18, 2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Prince55

.224 bullets---

I'm pretty sure it's the older models that were made before yours that
use the .223 bullets.
Old December 18, 2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Scorch

Mike the bore to find out. I would bet it's .224". I owned a Krico years ago, and it was .224". About the only 22 Hornets with .223" bores are older Winchesters.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:01 PM   #4
PAHOGHUNTER

Pressure

I loaded some test loads using Hornady 40 gr VMAX BOATTAILS, using, IMR 4227, LILGUN & AA 1680 all were loaded under max. the bullets were not touching the rifeling and almost all showed signs of pressure. Primers slightly flattened out and some had rings about .300 from the rim. The brass is once fired Winchester probably from late 1980's. I also fired some Winchester factory loads 46 gr. from that same time period, they didn't show any signs of pressure? I'm puzzled
Old December 18, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Sam06

Hornets do some weird stuff. I am pretty sure your gun is fine with .224's in it, but you might want to check it out. The signs of pressure on the handloads is the kicker though. It shot the Factory ammo fine so its got to be the HL's. Was the brass FL sized for the 1st firing? I am going to assume so. Hornets can be touchy about primers what kind did you use? Maybe try pistol primers that can settle them down some and try neck sizing some of the brass, mark it and see how it does. I have 3 hornets and they all like different ingredients. The CZ likes it one way and the #3 likes it another way to a large degree and my T/C will eat anything. Lil gun is what I use along with 2400 and 4227. I like 2400 but Lil gun give the best velocity over all.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
PAHOGHUNTER

Rings

It was a long time ago when I sized and primed these cases I full length sized them but the primers I'm not sure of, probably small rifle? The rings also bother me this is normally a sign of excessive head space on rimless cases, but I'm not sure with the Hornet case?
Old December 18, 2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Sam06

Take a picture of them but if it is like a bulged case, extraction should have been hard. Was it sticky extraction also? Did you have to force the bolt handle down like with long loaded bullets? That can cause spikes in pressure. There is not much to a hornet case. Lord knows I have ruined plenty just bumping the de-priming pin.

The rings could be caused by the die when FL sizing them also and not noticed by you if they were old. I would take the brass the shot good(Factory) and now that it is once fired in that gun do some experimenting with it. Anschutz are supposed to be good guns, I have never messed with them so I have no direct experience.
Old December 18, 2008, 03:51 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Case head rings....

My brother's Hornet does the same thing, no matter what the load is. We've never tried another brand, but I tend to blame the Winchester brass he is using.
I disected a few cases earlier this year, and found them to be terribly inconsistent. Several of the cases (brand new) actually had thinning of the walls... before firing. The most distrubing part for me, was discovering the case wall thickness, at the web, differed as much as 0.015" from one side to the other.

...That being said...
My brother is still loading the original 100 cases he picked up before purchasing the rifle. (Showing the 'ring' from the first firing) That first lot of cases, alone; has been reloaded almost 30 times. To date, he has only had 4 case failures. (2 cracks from partial head separation that wasn't detected early, and 2 split necks)
I would definitely keep an eye on your rifle, and watch the ring. However, you'll probably find it's just a combination of the rifle's chamber and the way winchester drew the brass, giving you some strange artifacts.

As for the bore diameter; I would definitely have it slugged to see what the true diameter is. Judging by the parts list and cartridge list inthe manual for the rifle, I would expect it to have a .224" bore.

One can never be so sure, though. I have a .380 Auto pistol with a .358" by .359" bore. Get it slugged, if you can.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
PAHOGHUNTER

Savage 22 Hornet

Last night at our club meeting I spoke with 2 members that had the new single shot Savages in 22 Hornet both had problems with the shell coming apart on extraction. I didn't pursue the details. I'll have to ask more questions, it appears that at least one of them was loading it a little to hot?
Old December 19, 2008, 07:53 PM   #10
res45

I used to have a Savage 340C in 22 Hornet,many years ago before it was stolen,I used Win & Rem. cases back then I used the Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullet .224 and 11.0 grs. of IMR-4227 with a CCI SRBR primer never had a problem with that load,primer looked fine 5 shot groups @100yds. you could cover with a dime. I miss that old rifle.