The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2002, 03:28 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

Dillon's 308 carbide die set

Does anyone use one of these? I keep thinking I should get one.

Is it a small base size die or conventional size? (The ads indicate it is small base, but I figured I would ask).

Also does it have a carbide sizer ball or is it steel?

I am using an rcbs small base die for my M1A's and lubing the case neck and cases is a pain and it takes a lot of physical effort to size. With my dillon 357sig carbide die it takes just a touch of lube to work. (I am just trying to be lazy).
Old August 24, 2002, 10:44 PM   #2
Shoney

For less money, you can get a better die and add the carbide expander to the sizing die. Get a Reding Die Set if your bound and determined to spend that much money.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 26, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3
John Marshall

As an option to Shoney's excellent suggestion of the Redding dies, you might try Forster. I bought a Forster 308 Natioinal Match Full-length Size die (small base) and micrometer adjustable Ultra Seater die. I found through some research that these dies are recommended by some of the dinosaur Service Rifle shooters still competing with M1As. These two dies only set me back $65.99 from Graf & Sons. www.grafs.com

I don't know what lube you're using but I use Imperial size wax and just a very little bit makes resizing nearly effortless in the tight Forster die.

One other suggestion: Whichever dies you choose, take the decap assembly out, chuck it in a drill press and polish the expander ball with emory paper. The top of the ball is what needs smoothing, not the full diameter.