The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Reference Books on Military Surplus Rifles? What's some good titles?

I figured this would be a good place to ask . . .

I have a friend who is retiring who likes to collect military surplus rifles (and antique rifles in general). He's a Viet Nam vet and has everything from a Brown Bess to a Civilian M-16 - a couple of M1 Garands as well as quite a few of the usual military surplus rifles - Nagants, Mausers, etc. I'd like to get him a nice reference book as a retirement gift.

I've cruised Amazon.com and while there are some excellent books there, most are pretty specific (in regards to a particular rifle, etc.). I'm sure he already has the many price guides, collector's catalogs, etc. so I've ruled those out. I'm looking for something that is nice, helpful as far as information and one that can be used over time and not just read and then put away never to be looked at again.

My budget is $50 - $60. Can somebody possible suggest some titles of general reference books on milsurp rifles or related? I'm kind of at a loss as I'm not really up to date on what is out there on milsurp as my shooting interests are in other areas. Even a book that is a combination gun/military history that would be appropriate. He isn't limited to one time period - so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What do you fellas who love milsurp have in your reference books that you find really helpful? Book titles would be fine as I can then search for them by title. Thanks for any suggestions - greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

WHB Smith's Small Arms of the World.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Standard Catalog of Military Weapons by Phillip Peterson. If you have a Kindle it's only $15. Many otherwise spendy reference books are cheap as electric books, some are even free.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Depending on how specialized you want to get Ball's Mauser Military Rifles is a great reference.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
WHB Smith's Small Arms of the World.
+1 Very informative book. Add Frank C. Barnes' Cartridges of the World for a lot of firearms information.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 26, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
kraigwy

The best I've seen, and I have a lot of them, is "the Book of Rifles" by WEB and Joseph Smith.

It's an older book but for surplus military rifles it can't be beat.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 26, 2013, 03:02 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Thank you all for your great suggestions. Enjoyed looking them up and they all are excellent books! I'm checking with his wife to make sure he doesn't have any of them already and then will order for him. I know he's been collecting a variety of bolt actions so I'm leaning towards the book on Mauser Military Rifles.

Thanks again for your help - greatly appreciated! One of the great things I like about this forum is that help and advice is there when you need it! Thanks to all of you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 27, 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

"Bolt Action Military Rifles of the World", by Mowbray and Puleo, published by Mowbray Press. It runs $70, but worth it. Nice jacket, lots of great color photographs, and historical information.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
bumnote

I recently picked up a copy of "U.S. Military Bolt Action Rifles" by Bruce Canfield. I really like it. Goes beyond just the '03 and M1917, covers Lee-Navy, Krags, Mosin-Nagants, the French Berthier rifles...and others that US Armed Forces used at one time or another.