The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 11, 2016, 10:58 PM   #1
BillG174

Starting A Neighborhood Shooting Group

I didn't know for where to put this thread - hope this is the correct forum.

There are 4 or 5 men in my subdivision that either shoot or are interested in shooting. I have the idea of starting a neighborhood shooting group where we would get together once a month, go to the range to shoot then go to dinner before or after, etc. Before I talk to the group I would like to have some "shooting ideas". Would we just shoot at targets, would we have competitions, etc.?

Does anyone belong to a shooting group that you could explain what your group does or give me some "activity" ideas. Thanks!

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association
Old January 11, 2016, 11:03 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

The poker shoots are fun. At 10 yards it is often as much luck s anything else since the targets I've used have cards 1/2" wide.

The dueling targets are fun also.

If you have 4-5 members be prepared for only one or two other to show each month.
Old January 11, 2016, 11:16 PM   #3
BillG174

John, thanks very much for your comments. Could you please explain further what the poker shots are and the dueling targets.

I am sure that if this group is started that the word may spread to other shooters and the "members" will increase.

Thanks again!

Freedom Is Not Free
Old January 11, 2016, 11:44 PM   #4
FITASC

I'm assuming handguns (so correct me if incorrect)
Dueling trees, steel plates, a Texas Star could all be used. How experienced is everyone? Are they interested in competition or just some blasting fun? Private or public place? Those could make some things more doable than others.
Just a guys thing or spouses and kids?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2016, 12:10 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

http://www.amazon.com/EZ2C-Targets-P.../dp/B00N2H45MC
The basic idea is something like 7 card stud. 7 shots each and see who can make the best hand.

I think there are similar targets for darts, tic-tac-toe, and some others. Score four. Simon says. Battleship. A little time with a computer plus a large budget for ink and the fun is endless.

http://www.rangemasterrowdy.com/imag..._large_150.jpg
Something like this and you try to get them all turned one direction to win. Some pretty cheap versions available for .22s

https://www.gttargets.com/TexasStarTarget.htm
I've never shot a texas star. Looks like fun. I don't know of a competition using it and you should only shoot the targets in one position due to the angle of the plates. For instance, if the wheel is designed to spin counter-clockwise shooting the 9 o'clock target will send a round ricocheting up at a high angle.

You can try to drive a golfball towards one side of the berm or another. Ricochets galore. There are those self healing rubber ball targets that smart cultured people probably use. Never thought of them before.
Old January 12, 2016, 09:47 AM   #6
BarryLee

Do you have a place to shoot? Depending on the range you may need to check with them and see what activities they allow. Also, many ranges already have competition nights, so maybe you and your buddies could simply join what is already in place.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 12, 2016, 01:36 PM   #7
BillG174

OP:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts!

We will be shooting handguns at an indoor range where I am a member. I'm going to the range this afternoon to talk to them about my neighborhood shooting group idea to get their thoughts. I would hate to have all the guys meet at the range then not be able to get a couple of lanes because there was a wait.

I have not mentioned my shooting group idea to anyone yet as I wanted to talk to my range and get some ideas first.

Freedom Is Not Free

Last edited by BillG174; January 12, 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old January 12, 2016, 02:09 PM   #8
g.willikers

Best check with the guys who are to be involved as to what they might like.
The hardest part is getting everyone to agree on a time to do it.
Everyone seems to have things to do and places to go, these days.
Another obstacle is not too many people enjoy competition as compared to just a friendly get together.
Those who do enjoy going to an organized game would probably already be doing it or would rather go to an existing and established one.
Better find out before making any plans.
Old January 12, 2016, 02:16 PM   #9
rpseraph

I have a group of friends who have been shooting off and on together for about 8 years. We are all members of the same range, and also use a guy's land to shoot. We pick a date and whoever can make it, makes it. We all chipped in some money and built a steel plate shooting rig, turned out kind of awesome, we keep it at a buddy's farm. Hang some plates, put a few cans/2Ls/etc on it, we also added a plywood sheet holder so we can play poker. It would be awesome to live next to all these guys. Good to be able to depend on your neighbors At least I can count on my friends if not my neighbors!
Old January 12, 2016, 03:25 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I've never shot a texas star. Looks like fun. I don't know of a competition using it and you should only shoot the targets in one position due to the angle of the plates. For instance, if the wheel is designed to spin counter-clockwise shooting the 9 o'clock target will send a round ricocheting up at a high angle.
The star should be free to spin either direction - all depending of course on which target you shoot first (there are various strategies on that)
Since the OP has mentioned an indoor range, this is most likely not feasible at all.

To ME, a group thing at an indoor range with separate lanes isn't too much on the fun and jovial social interaction during the shooting part.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2016, 04:09 PM   #11
g.willikers

Bill sez this will be held at an indoor range.
Never been in an indoor one that allowed any kind of steel targets.
Too dangerous what with the risk of ricochets.
Indoors, other types of reactive targets are ok, like balloons, clays, wood, 'etc.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 12, 2016 at 04:14 PM.