The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #26
cornbush

doofus47- Here you go, first post in this thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348258
Old September 29, 2012, 09:25 PM   #27
Gunplummer

I shot a lot of running deer with a scope. I like to do the trip down memory lane with my un-scoped 99 levers, BUT in Pa. you have to count points. One year I shot an illegal buck in a snow storm. It was already hit (back leg shot off below the elbow) and it looked like a doe. You get older you should carry a monocular or small scope to take a quick look if your not sure. I know a lot of muzzle loader guys that do that. I hunt VW and it is great! Pretty much if you see horn you are legal. Makes quick decision shots a lot easier. Back to the main point, yes, I do use iron sights on occasion and actually would rather use them.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #28
FairWarning

Yes. Squirrel and rabbit hunting started to seem too easy to me as a teenager using a 12 GA pump, so I put aside the 12 GA and went back to a 20 GA single, then back to .22 LR rifle, and finally to a Ruger .22 LR pistol.

I prefer to use a rifle for deer. Started out with a Win M94 30-30 many years ago, now looking forward to trying out my iron sighted K31 7.5mm this year!
Old September 30, 2012, 11:18 AM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Currently I do not own any scopes...

But the only time I use optics is if I need to use a new purchase before I get around to removing the scope and regulating myself to the irons on it... I would buy a rifle with no sights installed only if seller bids down to offset their purchase....

Brent
Old September 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #30
L_Killkenny

Scopes are better, plain and simple, close to far, slow moving or fast, thick cover or wide open fields. Not saying that you're not gonna have trouble seeing/hitting a running deer at 50 feet with the over sized, overweight, large scopes in vogue today but keep the magnification and size modest and they're better any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I do however occasionally hunt with a 10/22 using factory open sights and scopes on handguns turn my stomach so any hunting with them is using open sights. Other than that if it can where a scope it does where a scope.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:06 PM   #31
JimPage

I much preferred iron sights long ago when I could see them. Since then I have put a 1.5x-4x on my deer rifle. It helps me focus on the target and see the sights. For awhile I could use a peep sight, but even that is gone now

So some people just can't use iron sights. Not only from age, but some poor kids are born with poor eyesight. So be kind to them.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 30, 2012, 03:25 PM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
So some people just can't use iron sights. Not only from age, but some poor kids are born with poor eyesight. So be kind to them.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:05 AM   #33
bamaranger

sure

I'll hunt irons a wee bit every year. I bowhunt deer pretty hard in our long seasons here, the bow season runs concurrent with gun season for over 2 months.

Sometimes if scouting, or in really bad windy weather, I'll get in the thick pine plantations or other sheltered areas and slip along (or try to) with a light easy to carry rifle.

I like an old Rem model 14 in .30 Rem, which was my first deer rifle. I have an older tube feed Ruger .44 with XS sights which is easy to tote also. Another is an early Marlin 1894 in .357, and Williams peep, its often in the truck for GP use anyhow.

I have taken a Garand a few times as well, but not on stalking hunts, and have never killed one with a Garand, though with its longer sight radius, I shoot the Garand best.

I've decided if I'm ever going to kill another with iron sights I better do it soon, as I don't see'em as clear as I used to.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:54 AM   #34
doofus47

nice rifle, cornbush.
I love that you provoked a 7 page thread on sporterized milsurps.

There are some pretty, pretty rifles on that thread.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:49 PM   #35
Jack O'Conner

Iron sights are still good for me.

Jack

Old October 3, 2012, 03:59 AM   #36
Zorro

You only need a scope for shots beyond 100 Yards.

My Marlin 1994 in .44 Remington Magnum just has a peep sight and a Gold Dot.

Scopes only matter past 100 yards.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:28 AM   #37
Hunter Customs

I hunted for years without a scope and I'm going back to sights this deer season.
Most likely will not have a shot over 100 yards away but if I do I'm confident I can make longer shots acurately.
I do prefer aperture type rear sights with a post&bead front, however a good ladder rear with knife point front works well for long shots.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #38
sc928porsche

If I am going to hunt that day in heavy timber or brush, I will drag out the old model 94 with buckhorn sight.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:22 PM   #39
Sweet Shooter

Today and for hunting this year it's going to be irons. I'm on again/off again with scopes.

I think being able to hit is not just about eyesight. Regular notch and post is like a Star Wars thing... like a force that runs through you. Even oldies with bad reading eyes can do it, but need to tune it in.

I'll let you know how that works out for me.
-SS-
Old October 4, 2012, 05:36 PM   #40
Tucker 1371

Shot this one with iron sighted M1A scout. I'll admit it was an extremely close shot, 25yds at ground level, not sure how he didn't see me. Realtree and a little discipline work wonders I guess.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old October 6, 2012, 12:10 AM   #41
bacardisteve

Sure do! If I am participating in a deer drive or still hunting I take my M1 Garand. I tend to over swing on running deer with most rifles but the weight of the Garand cures that.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:10 PM   #42
b_rad

I installed a Skinner peep site on a '82 Winchester 94 30-30 for my 13 year old. At 100 yards he was grouping the shots at about 3" consistently around the bull’s-eye using factory Remington 150gr loads.

We also tried some of the Remington reduced recoil 100gr (I think) and I was very surprised how well they shot. They seemed to group on the low side of the bull’s-eye and as far off as 5" but all and all not too bad.

I guess I'm old school in thinking everyone should start off with iorn sites and move up from there. I'm not by any means on the level of most that post on this forum but it's how I was taught and we have plenty of guns with scopes that he (my son) can choose from in time.