The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
duelist

Hercules vs. Alliant Blue Dot powder

One of our forum members had suggested that perhaps the reason some Blue Dot powders don't seem to give trouble in .41 caliber loads is because the powder was made by Hercules and not Alliant. I looked at my two cans of Blue Dot, and both are Alliant. Of course one of them is 8 years old and other about 2, and that might make the difference; perhaps there has been some change in formulation lately. I know I've never had any trouble with the older Blue Dot and I've run it through several .41 magnum revolvers, and a .40 S&W auto made by one of the less expensive pistol manufacturers. Plus I've used it in 10mm in a Colt Delta Elite and in a Glock, all without any problems. This can't just be luck; there must have been some recent change in powder formulation.
Old November 15, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Rich Keagy

Same product, same company.
Hercules changed their name to Alliant some years ago. Or, perhaps they were bought out.
I used to use Hercules Blue Dot for 1 oz. 20 ga loads when hunting rabbits.
I still have some Hercules Green Dot! I plan to use that for .45 ACP reloading.
The guy in the company logo is Hercules. He's wearing the pelt of a lion he slew to atone for killing his family.
I know, I know, way too much information.
Old November 16, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
darkgael

Herc

The old Hercules facility in Kenvil, New Jersey is long since abandoned. The name change - as noted - happened in 1995.
I don't believe that the powders are made in the USA any longer. Australia, IIRC.
Pete