The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 5, 2005, 09:18 PM   #1
The_Shootist

Rifles for Hogs?

What would be appropriate for hunting hogs in Texas? .243? Or would someting in the .270/7mm/30.06 be more realistic.

Also, I guess, iron sights or at most a low powered scope would be the way to go.
Old November 5, 2005, 09:40 PM   #2
LHB1

Any of those would probably do but I prefer larger/heavier bullets for hogs, either from rifles or pistols. In rifles I would prefer .270/7mm caliber as my minimum. Sights probably depend on expected range. Personally use a S&W M629 .44 Mag pistol with Leupold 2X EER scope and 250 gr hard cast bullets. My old eyes see/shoot better with a scope under hunting conditions. YMMV

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 6, 2005, 12:37 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If all you're gonna shoot is an "eatin' hog", that's probably no more than around 100 to 150 pounds. A careful shot with a .243 or suchlike would probably work. Trouble is, hogs get up well over 300 pounds and more, with heavy bones and thick skin and cartilege.

So, if you're gonna shoot any and all hogs you happen to see, bigger tends to be better. Thirty caliber and heavy bullets is a sort of starting point, since deep penetration is a criterion. Don't need magnums, though. A lot of the slow-and-heavy cartridges are the choice for many.

FWIW, Art
Old November 6, 2005, 07:42 AM   #4
milcaztra

1+ slow and heavy. The Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 is a nice and handy levergun that evokes a warm, fuzzy feeling whenever I take a peek at the muzzle. Normal pressure loads are great for hogs, but higher pressure uber loads are available for flexibility in hunting larger game.
Old November 6, 2005, 07:46 AM   #5
ltdave

a co-worker went for some hogs with a remington 870 with breneke slugs...

the first one was stopped by the 'armor' plating. the second one penetrated and performed as advertised. it was recovered and looks really cool...

range was about 60yds i believe...

david
Old November 6, 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
NB4ZOT

IMO, the ultimate hog gun is an 12ga 870 fitted with 20" rifled barrel using Winchester 2 3/4 Partician Gold Sabot slugs fitted with a red dot sight.

Its a hog killing machine.
Old November 6, 2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Harley Quinn

Any rifle that produces around 1900 fps energy at the

muzzle is good for hogs in my opinion. I am not talking the little ones I am talking the bigger. Why would you go after them figuring you are going for the little ones? Long ranges, further then 150 yds, I would go for the 06 in 180 or 220 grain.

I have a 35 Remington 336 lever, am looking for a 358 Winchester in a lever detachable magazine. I will be trying to figure a way to put a bayonet on the end. I like to stalk and find them in the brush. I feel a bayonet will give me a little bit of help in case I get to close and need to stick um...

I like to carry a back up pistol. I think the 9mm is fine for that, lots of bullets in mag and at close range I can keep firing till they are next to me, I can put one into them at one foot or touching them. Beside's the rifle with a bayonet will help keep them off of you.

Sounds crazy, not really just prepared... A good knife is of the essence also.

Harley
Old November 6, 2005, 11:31 AM   #8
NB4ZOT

Harley

Harley, good thinking on the bayonet.

Mind sharing some of your stalking techniques with me. I'm mostly an ambusher.

What are some do's and don'ts in stalking hogs. What do you look for. What type of terrain is best for stalking. Thanks
Old November 6, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Think slow, think aware.

I believe the way to become a good stalker in the woods is to go out and have nothing to protect you. Back up handgun is ok. (9mm/45/40 or something that is for close up lots of fast shots and controllable).
You have to think like you are the prey. Not the predator. Walk low, not straight up, legs bent and body slightly bent forward, legs should be very strong.

I think one of the best ways to do that is to dress in cammies, do not have your pockets jingling etc.
Remember these hogs are our closet cousin in the fact that they can give us life performing transplants etc.

They are predators, scent, sound also, is a biggie to them. Smell like a boar, or sow, not like a human. Move and stop if you see a herd make a sound like a pig, suck air into your throat, see what they do???

You will be surprised at a noise like an animal (sort of snoring if you like) if they hear you they will relax, or become more alert. Be aware of the wind pay more attention to the area where the breeze is coming from. Unless you really smell good to them, then you better figure a 360 degree alertness is the way to go.
Slow and patient move like they do, listen be aware...My hearing is shot so I am not up to snuff, but then I try to be more aware with my eyes.

Weird huh? Learned this long ago in bow hunting by a famous Bow Hunter and builder of bow's Tom Jennings.
I have to take my clothing to a laundromat, my wife hates the smell and it is some thing you have to really work at to get off.

Look for sign and try to keep on it. When you see sign try to figure the age of it. Being close to the sign, but not in the trail is the best, sometimes you have to be in the trail to move through the brush, animals figure you will be on the trail. It is where they are (right).

I have done this years ago and am just getting back to it again. My wife believes I have lost many brains cells and am reverting or digressing to the old days of youth and aggression. She finds it disturbing... What do you think???

Harley
Old November 6, 2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Foxman

Harley
She is dead right, however one of the few pleasures of getting old is that you can be a crazy awkward old cuss and get away with it!!
Plus I'm with Ruark on anything that can bite back, " Use enough gun"
Old November 6, 2005, 01:59 PM   #11
NB4ZOT

Harley

thanks for your response. I am going to try to work on the techniques you suggested.

They make a lot of sense.

Thanks
Old November 6, 2005, 06:46 PM   #12
Harley Quinn

Foxman, you are a silver tongued devil,

But I did ask the question and you gave me an answer, probably right...LOL

I read that book years ago and am trying to relate, is that the one where he got clawed by a big leopard or lion? Gun Bearers and Natives urinated on him to keep the infection from the claws out of the wound, and used big pincer ants to stitch up the wound?
I read a lot of his stuff, seems like the story "Something of Value" still applies.

Harley
Old November 7, 2005, 05:21 AM   #13
formerflyer

Any of the .30’s and up will work splendidly. The key is penetration with enough caliber to do some damage when it gets there. High speed is nice, but not critical. Your grandfather’s 30-30 loaded up with 170’s would be the lowest recommended combination, and I’d be careful of distances and angles with it. I would stay away from any of the .25’s and below, no matter how you load them.

In between those two, I wouldn’t necessarily feel under-gunned with, say, a .270 loaded with super-premium bullets (Barnes X, Combined Technology) or heavy-for-caliber premiums (like the heaviest Partitions). It’s not that standard loadings won’t take down your average 150 lb hog, it’s just that you never know when you’re going to run into a monster. I vividly remember looking through the scope on my .308 at what we estimated to be a 450lb+ hog, and NOT pulling the trigger even though he was only about 200 yards away. I remember thinking, “I’ve only got the .308, and that’s one damned big boar. What if the shot isn't quite right? He’ll get away, and that’ll be our only chance at him!”

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old November 7, 2005, 07:04 AM   #14
Watchman

.444 Marlin with peep sights and a 265 grain Remington softnose.

Its powerful,quick on the draw and hits hard. Its short enough to not be a nusiance and at normal hog ranges the peep works well and it makes a big hole.
Old November 7, 2005, 09:31 AM   #15
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Hey Harley

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl25-e.htm

Check out this site. Bayonet on a lever action
7.62x54R would do ok, no?
Old November 7, 2005, 10:37 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"What are some do's and don'ts in stalking hogs. What do you look for. What type of terrain is best for stalking."

For stalking anything: Learn how to walk quietly! I have folks come out to hunt and they'll wear these hard-soled waffle-stomper boots, and as deaf as I am I can hear them a hundred yards off. And they wear pants that go "weep, weep, weep" against the brush as they walk.

I wear soft, crepe-soled Russell Bird Hunters or Red Wing Forty-mile boots and old, soft khaki pants. The last deer I killed was at no more than some 25 yards. I'd just walked across a rocky creek bottom and was easing up his side of the creekbank when he raised his horns up out of the grass; he'd heard sounds, but nothing to excite him. I regularly walk up to within ten yards or so of javelina.

Anyway, listen to yourself as you walk, and move more slowly. Put your feet down gently.

Next thing is, don't look at your feet. Glance out ahead for your next two or three steps or so. Then, look out and around as you take those steps. Repeat the process. You don't see animals when you're looking at your feet about where you're going. You can't walk quietly if you haven't spotted a dry stick or a rolling rock. It becomes reflex after some practice.

Overall, don't be in a hurry to see how much ground you can cover in a day. Stop from time to time and just sit for ten or fifteen minutes. And, when travelling along, look behind you, regularly. Often, after you've passed, some critter will stick his head out to watch you as you leave their area.

Stuff like that.

, Art
Old November 7, 2005, 12:21 PM   #17
Harley Quinn

Thanks AC1, I have a bayonet that I think will work

I just have to figure a way to connect it up and not be in the way of sights etc. I am thinking of removing the front sight and making a thingamajig that will hold the whatayamacallit and hold it down with the whichamathing.

Harley
Old November 7, 2005, 05:52 PM   #18
Ac1d0v3r1d3

well

Sounds like a plan
Old November 7, 2005, 06:11 PM   #19
just one question

8mm?

I am going on a boar hunt soon, which of these should I take?

8mm yugo mauser

win 94 30-30

870 12 guage with slug barrel

rossi 50 cailber muzzle loader

mosin nagant (soon to have)

I am leaning towrad the mauser or 30-30.
Old November 7, 2005, 07:58 PM   #20
H&H,hunter

Both good choices.
Old November 8, 2005, 01:42 AM   #21
Zorro

Remington 870 Police Slug Gun with Ghost ring Sights. Loaded with Breneke Slugs.

The Poor mans Marlin Guide Gun.
Old November 8, 2005, 02:50 AM   #22
Pointer

Quote:
What would be appropriate for hunting hogs in Texas? .243? Or would someting in the .270/7mm/30.06 be more realistic.

Also, I guess, iron sights or at most a low powered scope would be the way to go.
Not .243...

Yes, these will do it...

Add the .308...

Use heavy bullets...

Pig aren't hard to kill, but a "big hit" is best in case you make 'em mad.

Low powered scope or open sights... in that order.